diy solar

diy solar

A little disappointed with my new Growatt SC48120-MPV charge controller.

syclonedriver

I just added a SC48120-MPV to my system. The voltage on the display is consistently 0.5 volts lower than my other 2 Growatt AIOs and my old Tracker charger controller and my Fluke meter. This currently isn't an issue because I only have 400 watts of panels connected to it but it is disappointing and I'll have to contact Tech support. Maybe they can step me through a calibration procedure. Anyone else have experience with a SC48120-MPV?

And it doesn't come with the battery temperature sensor. I can't even find a part number for it.

Last night I went out to check on my system and discovered the SC48120-MPV completely dark, no backlight or LEDs. My AIOs and my Tracker were all normal. I pushed the on/off switch and the unit powered up. Is this normal? Does the unit go to sleep when there is no PV input?

Also, the suggested 2 AWG power cables are difficult to connect because the lugs are too large and require modification. I've tried 3 different lugs from Ancor and Hobart, maybe an industrial lug would fit.

I contacted my vendor, Watts247, he quickly responded. The total blackout at night is normal. There is a software calibration tool so I should be able to correct the displayed voltage. Now I need to add more panels and batteries.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the battery temperature sensor? I can't even find a part number.

I just bought a SC48120 from watts24/7. The voltage is .5 off when voltage is low. But as it climbs it goes to about .2 off. Asked how to calibrate my system and they gave me a link to the software. When I try the software it doesn't work. Watts24/7 says my serial port is bad because this software works for everyone else even though I use it to program pic chips just fine. Anyone else get the calibration to work as this is quite frustrating? Also anyone notice the voltage it's off by changes the higher the voltage?
Also would like find documentation for their modbus registers online for the SC48120 so I can set up data logging. Watts24/7 did not answer this question and Growatt doesn't answer their support phone #.

No luck.

The software tool seems to connect with 485 protocol but clicking calibration does nothing.

I'm still at the same position where the calibration software seems to be talking with the charge controller. But pushing the button to set the voltage calibration doesn't work. Anyone else able to properly calibrate their charge controller or login with solar monitoring software?

Does anyone know where I can purchase the battery temperature sensor? I can't even find a part number.

I have a growatt sc4880, yes the display off at night is normal. The Temp sensor seems to be the same as the one EPEver uses. I have extras from my epevers and they work fine.

Back