diy solar

diy solar

A ton of LiFePo⁴ cells

I wish I knew how to network 32 batteries on the new Pace, their software shows it, but I still only have 4 dip switswitches.
Are the dip switches to change the address to identify each pack?
Switch 1= 1, 2=2, 3=4, 4=8.
Switches 1 and 2=3
Switches 1 and 4=9
and so forth

SOK uses Pace and I have 15 - 100Ah SOK rack batteries. I've seen a couple others, but I'm used to the Pace. And I've figured how running a pack up to "protection" then opening it's breaker, the BMS will continue to balance undisturbed until it hits it's set release value 3.38v. Normally it would stop charging and balance, but if a cloud goes by, discharge starts and breaks balancing.

I ran that pack down to the cut-off then recharged with 38mV difference ?(not sure how much the BMS balanced, the Heltec was off). My charger was set to 15A max, so it took awhile and I wasn't watching when it finished.
View attachment 180585
View attachment 180587
I wish I knew how to network 32 batteries on the new Pace, their software shows it, but I still only have 4 dip switches.

And I ran the voltage up over 3.45 because the deviation became wider and I temporally had the Heltec attached.

Yeah same as SOK, well much nicer than JBD still uses old ass windows XP blue and half the characters are in Chinese.

Pace seems to be the way to go for the enterprise style BMS... damn I hope my sepolos will be ok.

Yeah same as SOK, well much nicer than JBD still uses old ass windows XP blue and half the characters are in Chinese.

Pace seems to be the way to go for the enterprise style BMS... damn I hope my sepolos will be ok.
What's wrong with that old ass windows XP blue, as long as it's not the blue screen of death ?. I even selected English ?
I've read good things about seplos.

@Spunky where did you source your Pace from?
Edit - nevermind I see SFK now that I read the whole post.

Wow that Pace software looks much nicer than JBD...

Would you happen to have a table for voltage SOC % you could share?
Pace dosen't list a table, it resets to 100% when a set voltage "Pack FullCharge Voltage" is reached with a set minimum current "Pack FullCharge Current". It must keep count of in and out sums.
1000006822.png

Are the dip switches to change the address to identify each pack?
Switch 1= 1, 2=2, 3=4, 4=8.
Switches 1 and 2=3
Switches 1 and 4=9
and so forth
That's correct, like the binary numbering system. But someone thought numbering from left to right was better than normal.

Pace dosen't list a table, it resets to 100% when a set voltage "Pack FullCharge Voltage" is reached with a set minimum current "Pack FullCharge Current". It must keep count of in and out sums.
View attachment 180595
Thank you for checking.
Wow, I really like the layout of that software... It makes the JBD look like jumbled battery data.
Adding a 1/2 dozen new BMS to the shopping list.

Seplos seems to have good reviews, just wasn't sure how they'd get along with what I have. I monitor my 14 SOKs with SolarAssistant, which are fairly predictable now. I was hoping I could swap RS-232 cables when I wanted to see the new bank without changing anything else.

GobelPower has Pace for sale too.

Last edited:
This is a wonderful thread I think I will do something very similar! I currently have 2 SOK 100AH 48v and I am looking to expand, I think you can save a lot of money buy building the battery, the software shown is exactly what my SOK uses so getting the cells & BMS will be fantastic. I heave a heavy duty dewalt shelf I think I can make a 3 story battery shelf and use some threaded rod to keep the cells clamped together.

This is a wonderful thread I think I will do something very similar! I currently have 2 SOK 100AH 48v and I am looking to expand,
Thanks. My day job kept me busy for 18 days straight, so not much happening at home.
I ordered 4 more cells, this time from 18650 (small order price advantage), because out of 240 cells, I received 160 and the highest and lowest of the bunch (was missing cells from the middle).
1000006945.png I'm not sure, if that amount of difference between 157 & 160 would be a problem down the road, but I don't want to move these heavy batteries again. I could make sure that one ended up on top and maybe install a HelTec in it with a switch too.
18650 didn't include an EVE test sheet and have been unresponsive to my emails, but their shipping was quick and quality. I'll call them today.

Attachments

• PXL_20231201_213324548.jpg
    PXL_20231201_213324548.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20231201_213124979.jpg
    PXL_20231201_213124979.jpg
    719.4 KB · Views: 25
So wait I thought SFK were all EV grade A+

How could there be some with such low AH values?

The scaling threw me off
All of the LF280K V3 cells are over 300Ah. But I wouldn't mix the 304 with the 300 in the same battery (matched batch or not).
If that last group of 16 is good enough for a BMS that has balancing, those other 9 will surely be primo.
Either way, I ordered 4 more cells that should push that low 300Ah off the list and into a future 12v 4S project.
How much difference is allowable in a 300Ah battery?
I have 14 - 100Ah, 51.2V batteries running together and one of them kept misbehaving. I would open it up, manually balance it and put it back to work. A few months later, the same deal, same low cell. So upon testing the low cell compared to the higher ones, turned out that the low cell had the highest Ah capacity. Only a little over 1Ah, but changing it out seems to have solved the issue.

Still waiting on 18650 to send the test info I requested, I called and talked to someone that was going to forward my email to management. Looking like I'll have to test them myself (there's only four) in my spare time ?

Still waiting on 18650 to send the test info I requested, I called and talked to someone that was going to forward my email to management. Looking like I'll have to test them myself (there's only four) in my spare time ?

Please see what scores they have, SFK is claiming there are 2 version of the version 3, one with octagon base and one with round base that have the eve dual hole terminals. The octagon base are testing higher according to them, If you can get the sheet from 18650 can you post some screenshots of it to see if the range is around 300 or is it around 312.

Thanks

Max charge voltage 54.4V without balancer after built, may be not that good for grade A cells?

We have built many packs using Grade A EVE 280Ah, most pack can be charge to 57V above without balancing, only several were charged to 56.5V-57V while one cell reaches to 3.65V. May be charging method is not same?

1703155980863.png

1703156103004.png

Test report here has no OCV3 Time column. This is different from report we get.
OCV3 Time really matters even though time value itself is not useful.

Please see what scores they have, SFK is claiming there are 2 version of the version 3, one with octagon base and one with round base that have the eve dual hole terminals. The octagon base are testing higher according to them, If you can get the sheet from 18650 can you post some screenshots of it to see if the range is around 300 or is it around 312.

Thanks
Some quick pix before going to work. I'm seeing some hex in there. And I'm sure 18650 is selling legitimate goods: 04QCB76G40703JD9F0008513
High res pix are in thumbnails below. 1st is SFK and 2nd is 18650 (hexagonal).
Testing will start as soon as I get home.
1000006993.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231221_112313480.jpg
    PXL_20231221_112313480.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20231221_111813428.jpg
    PXL_20231221_111813428.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Thanks
So the round terminal V3 tests around 300 and the octagonal V3 tests at 312. What does the V2 test at?

Is the octagonal actually basically a V4? Makes me want to just get the 304s to avoid all this nonsense with the 280K series.

Some quick pix before going to work. I'm seeing some hex in there. And I'm sure 18650 is selling legitimate goods: 04QCB76G40703JD9F0008513
High res pix are in thumbnails below. 1st is SFK and 2nd is 18650 (hexagonal).
Testing will start as soon as I get home.
View attachment 184302

Both SFK and 18650 dual pole are round base I think if you buy the EVE terminals they only come with the round base.

to get the octagon base you have to get it without the EVE terminals

batteryhookup is the same way, the octagon base is about 10-12 ah higher but it comes with the typical little button stud.

Max charge voltage 54.4V without balancer after built, may be not that good for grade A cells?

We have built many packs using Grade A EVE 280Ah, most pack can be charge to 57V above without balancing, only several were charged to 56.5V-57V while one cell reaches to 3.65V. May be charging method is not same?

View attachment 184300

View attachment 184301

Test report here has no OCV3 Time column. This is different from report we get.
OCV3 Time really matters even though time value itself is not useful.

Column H?

Back