diy solar

diy solar

About fusing…

Haddly Negla

Learning more every day
Well. I am considering to start fusing my system (and do other things like grounding, remote monitoring…) in the coming months. I actually have a dual simple system with FLA (24v with 4 6v 3000w LF inverter and 12v with 2 6v 2500 w HF) without any fuse or breaker. I keep reading fuses protect wires BUT I use almost only 4/0 awg wires to connect batteries, 4 awg to 60a SCCs, 6 awg to 40a SCC, 8 awg from panels to like 30 ft to SCCs.

I want to get the best materials for fusing which may not be available where I am located. Considering my current status, is it safe to keep running the system as it is or wait 3-4 months to protect with fuses? If so, what would be your advice for the safest material acquisition?

Hello!

4/0 awg are big fat cables, this is good it helps keep your system safe , but your systems still MUST have fuses, they are very important.

I think you need 4 fuses total

I would recommend:

24v/3000w LF inverter - 150amp fuse
12v/2500w HF inverter - 250amp fuse
60amp SCC - 75amp fuse
60amp SCC - 75amp fuse

Fuses are installed on the positive cable near to the power 'source' as possible.

I understand this might be difficult to find in your location, find a local source of parts ? Like a marine boat supply store ?

Look at these, they are normally very cheap,

Back