diy solar

diy solar

AC disconnect?

Solar-Myk3

Is it possible to add a AC disconnect and reuse the wires that are running to the main panel from the meter? I don't think I am allowed to use a meter can with the AC disconnect built in, but I have emailed the utility to find out.. In the event I can't I want to prepare for what I need to do..

I have attached picture of my current meter and the main panel, and where they are located in the house..

Attachments

• PXL_20230614_211344730.jpg
    PXL_20230614_211344730.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20230614_211501025.jpg
    PXL_20230614_211501025.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 23
  • wNrGlNmj62.png
    wNrGlNmj62.png
    2 MB · Views: 23
Generally speaking, starting from the output lugs of the utility meter, everything down stream belongs to the homeowner. So unless there is some specific local electrical code preventing it, you should be able to install a convenience disconnect if you wish. With the down spout on one side and the AT&T on the other, you may have to move something. In any case, if the disconnect (that is rated for at least as much current as the main breaker) is mounted next to the meter you could pull the wires out of the meter and reconnect them to the disconnect. Then all you have to do run from the disconnect back into the meter.
The issue is if you can remove the meter to kill power while you make the connections. Its not clear from the pic if there is a locking ring inside the meter box once the cover is removed. In CA our meters use an external retainer ring with a barrel bolt type lock. Requires a special tool.

Requires a special tool.
We call those Wire Cutters in my neck of the world.

The best way to do it is to call your PUD and ask about a temporary disconnect. Have all the new wire in place and inspected and such up to the meter box. The utility will usually charge you a small fee to send someone out, pull the meter, grab lunch while you hook up the wires, then come back and reconnect the meter and locking ring.

Some of the more rural PUD's are OK with you pulling the ring and the meter yourself and will just send someone with a new ring lock when they read your meter next month.

Back