diy solar

diy solar

Utilites requiring multiple meters.

k490

Solar Enthusiast
I have been talking to my utility about a hybrid grid tied system. They told me they require multiple meters for a battery grid tied system. The main meter at the service entrance. Meter between the inverter and the main panel, and another meter between the inverter and the backup sub-panel. I can only assume they want to make sure you don't go back and add more batteries later. I'm wondering if they want to in the future charge you for generating your own power.

Attachments

• Sample drawing.jpg
    Sample drawing.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 13
I would do the permit with a gridtie inverter, then later "add" as you like, having that many meters is nuts

I would do the permit with a gridtie inverter, then later "add" as you like, having that many meters is nuts
Right now, I'm doing a small off grid system with a transfer switch. Panels on a pergola, and maybe some 4-5 ground mounted, but I was wondering if anyone else as seen this with other utilities. I bet if you tell them going to use a hybrid inverter without batteries, they require another meter between the inverter and main service panel. The only way they allow a single meter is if you use a GT system only. I suppose could go online find a used GT inverter then later replace it with a newer hybrid and add batteries. The only issue I see with that is even with CT clamps they still will see a tiny bump of power coming from the inverter even if you turn off back feeding to them. Probably not an issue during the day, but at night they don't expect to see that.

Searching around here I found some threads some had received letters from their utilities they had connected a DIY GT with the CT clamps the utility sent a letter to them. I'm sure this utility would do more than just send a letter they send someone to inspect. I would not be surprised if they use google maps to find people with solar who are not permitted.

Off-grid only way with this utility. I wonder if city would permit an off-grid system.

Last edited:
Right now, I'm doing a small off grid system with a transfer switch. Panels on a pergola, and maybe some 4-5 ground mounted, but I was wondering if anyone else as seen this with other utilities. I bet if you tell them going to use a hybrid inverter without batteries, they require another meter between the inverter and main service panel. The only way they allow a single meter is if you use a GT system only. I suppose could go online find a used GT inverter then later replace it with a newer hybrid and add batteries. The only issue I see with that is even with CT clamps they still will see a tiny bump of power coming from the inverter even if you turn off back feeding to them. Probably not an issue during the day, but at night they don't expect to see that.

Searching around here I found some threads some had received letters from their utilities they had connected a DIY GT with the CT clamps the utility sent a letter to them. I'm sure this utility would do more than just send a letter they send someone to inspect. I would not be surprised if they use google maps to find people with solar who are not permitted.

Off-grid only way this works with this utility.
There is always the mixed grid-tie (say microinverters) and off-grid (charge-only) approach where your battery is on the off-grid system only. Works well if you don't have many power outages and use net metering.

No net-metering it's some complicated rate plan they pay 7 cents a KW I'm sure some other fees that zeros that out. I noticed my bill is mostly fees, and demand charge make up my bill.

Example is my last bill was $208 without any use of my heat pump. I have a pool runs 4 hours a day on super off peak as well as my water heater only runs during super off peak 10-3pm. My actual total usage is 1634kwh. My total charge based on KWH is only $88.79. The utility is Arizona public Service. I would not be surprised if you have to pay a monthly charge for each meter.

Attachments

• bill.jpg
    bill.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Most of the newer AiO can be set to have a minimum grid draw to keep those blips from going out.

My PoCo charges $15/mo meter rental. There is a growing trend by some utility providers of additional flat rate charges not impacted by kWh readings…. Or they just have a base charge on the first 500-1000 kWh. I can see the writing on the wall so I‘m slowly moving to 100% OG.

Back