diy solar

diy solar

location of solar disconnect

lukes05

I'm planning a small solar rooftop installation on my house. I live in San Jose, California.

I'm trying to figure out where to place the disconnect for the system. I will be using microinverters so it's all AC from the panels. The panels will be on the house but my electric meter and first point of disconnect are on a detached garage about 20' from the house. The meter is also inside a gated/fenced yard. The diagram isn't to scale but you get a sense of the layout.

There is an electrical panel inside the garage and another one inside the main house -- they're both 200A split off after the main disconnect inside the garage.

Do I need a disconnect on the main house? Do I need one by the meter? Do I need both? If I have one by the meter is it a problem that the meter (and disconnect) would be inside the fenced-in area? Should the panels connect to the electrical panel inside the house?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• wg3e1ospu1kc1.jpg
    wg3e1ospu1kc1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 5
Disconnect should be within 10' of meter.
Look up PG&E's "Green Book", which I think lists that, also distance from gas service equipment.

I think firemen would access your breaker panel or meter, so if meter inside a fence I don't think disconnect same place would be a problem.

You would rather the disconnect only disconnected panels, nothing else.
I think disconnect is optional now; utility could yank your meter (cutting all power) if they are concerned about backfeed during line work.

Disconnect should be within 10' of meter.
Look up PG&E's "Green Book", which I think lists that, also distance from gas service equipment.

I think firemen would access your breaker panel or meter, so if meter inside a fence I don't think disconnect same place would be a problem.

You would rather the disconnect only disconnected panels, nothing else.
I think disconnect is optional now; utility could yank your meter (cutting all power) if they are concerned about backfeed during line work.
Ok cool. I will take a look. Luckily the gas meter is at the front of the house -- about 50' from the electric meter.

Is your panel inside or outside?
My main panel is outside but the subpanel where the solar lands is inside..I have installed a SolArk that now feeds that subpanels and that will require new labels plus an inverter disconnect next to the main panel. Without that, the inverter would continue to power critical loads panel from batteries. The linemen are already protected, this is to protect firefighters who may be cutting through roof or walls.

Last edited:
Back