diy solar

diy solar

Actual Power Draw of all Household Devices on Standby

but when in the off or idle mode i doubt that really save that much power. when cranking out music yes they use a lot lless but i think idle current is going to be close.
Perhaps that's true for a contemporary amplifier that's class AB. Old-school class A is a room heater when it's on and is off when it's off. Lots of middle ground, I suspect.

Perhaps that's true for a contemporary amplifier that's class AB. Old-school class A is a room heater when it's on and is off when it's off. Lots of middle ground, I suspect.
to be honest I have the choice between several class A amps for my truck and my planned system, or going new school and buying a 50x4 AB with a 300 x 1 class D 5 channel... its hard to choose. the new amp is smaller easier to install, but that orion HCCA 150 would probably do jsut as good a job, just a little less room for install and would need to wind some coils and buy some caps to make a nice passive so i could run 7 channels off of it.

In this day and age go class D.
The development has come a very long way since the first ones 15 years ago (ish).
I've changed over to class D for my whole system. No regrets.
This is like comparing old glowbulbs and LEDs...

I agree, the better Class D amps on the market are now really good. I use a Hypex NCore in my main rig.

For a vehicle, I'd lean Class D for sure. Something like 90% efficient, so small footprint and lots of clean, cheap power.

For home, even though I use Class D, I too have a few Class A amps around, mostly using tubes for power. There's something special about those amps if you can live with the horrifying power consumption!

I agree, the better Class D amps on the market are now really good. I use a Hypex NCore in my main rig.

For a vehicle, I'd lean Class D for sure. Something like 90% efficient, so small footprint and lots of clean, cheap power.

For home, even though I use Class D, I too have a few Class A amps around, mostly using tubes for power. There's something special about those amps if you can live with the horrifying power consumption!
thats how i feel about car audio. I was a SQ competitor in the 90's and managed a custom car/install shop out in hayama. so back then I used every major brand at one time or another. Orion, Fosgate, soundstream, audio control, phoenix gold, image dynamics (horns) and USd "horns) MB Quart, PPI, boston, JBL, kicker etc etc etc.

I don't know much about receivers of that vintage, but most were well-built, so worth keeping alive.

Here's good info on yours. At the bottom of that write-up, there's this link to an impressive restoration of one.
Bob, Thanks for the info, Made for an interesting read. Reading into the resto and other similar posts has me glad mine still works, although it has kinda scratchy controls. Hope it hangs in there, being 44 years old. Not sure it would be worth it to restore.

You're welcome. Scratchy volume and tone controls are typically an easy fix -- pull the knob, spray some compressed air or contact cleaner, spin back and forth. I bet there are a pile of YT videos with illustrations.

A full restoration would be a labor of love. At 44 years, I would expect the caps are tired. What's nice about vintage gear, though, is the parts are easy to replace when something fails. Most new gear has mostly surface-mount components, which is a different ballgame.

Enjoy it!

Back