diy solar

diy solar

Adding additional solar panel question

johnwen1

Hello all,

I just purchased the Anker SOLIX C1000 Portable Power Station (1056 wh LFpo4) with its own 200W Solar Panel. It looks as though the 200w Anker solar panel charges its power station at 48 volts through an XT 60 connector. I would like use that 200w solar panel to charge my 2022 Oliver Elite II travel trailer 's 12 volt system (4x6 volt AGM batteries). I have a spare Zamp input on the side of my trailer that does not go through a controller, so in the past I have been using a 100w Renogy suitcase with its own controller. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can reduce the 48 volts to 12 so I may use the Anker panel to charge my trailer batteries.

Right now pedestal A/C power goes through my 2000w Xantrex inverter/converter to charge my batteries, and the rooftop panels supply its dc power through a separate circuit.

I was told by an Victron authorized facility I could use a 30a to 15 amp "dogbone?" connector at the trailer's connector and run an extension cord to one of the Anker A/C outputs and use it to supply power to the trailer going through my trailers circuitry (when we're off grid) through the Xantrax inverter/converter to use the dc power for the trailer and also charge the trailer batteries. The rep said I have to go through a converter because of the 48 volts and a solar controller wouldn't be able to handle that.

Whew...in a nutshell can I somehow use the Anker solar panels as I did my Renogy panel? I'll need to go from XT60 to MC4 also, but I found some of the XT 60 to MC4 connectors on line.

Any and all help is most appreciated!

Kind Regards,​

John​

Hi John

What you're after doing is possible , 48v solar panels can charge 12v batteries with the correct mppt controller

I would need the specs from your solar panel please if possible , they should be on the label at the back, vmp . Voc , and isc(amps)

Hi Sam,
This is what I found from the website.

Anker 531 Solar Panel (200W)Series 5​

Rated Power 200W
Open Circuit Voltage 57.6V
Operating Voltage 48V
Operating Current 4.17A
The Optimum Operating Voltage is 48V and the Optimum Operating Current is 4.17A.

Attachments

• 2c0d2538-9e86-455c-84e6-293f306d0fb2.jpg
    2c0d2538-9e86-455c-84e6-293f306d0fb2.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 2
Rated Power 200W
Open Circuit Voltage 57.6V
Operating Voltage 48V
Operating Current 4.17A

Lovely, that is exactly what we were looking for

57.6voc is very high for a 200w panel, but this is not an issue, we just need a controller capable of handling the high voltage

For 200w panel on a 12v battery you'll need at least a 15amp mppt

This EPever 20amp mppt should be suitable , 100v max solar input

Lovely, that is exactly what we were looking for

57.6voc is very high for a 200w panel, but this is not an issue, we just need a controller capable of handling the high voltage

For 200w panel on a 12v battery you'll need at least a 15amp mppt

This EPever 20amp mppt should be suitable , 100v max solar input

Thank you so much, Sam...:)

Sam,
It looks like after reading this:
  • EPEVER 20A MPPT solar Charge Controller , 12V/24V Auto Work , Max. PV input power:260W/12V, 520W/24V. Max PV voltage of 100V. Common Negative grounding . 2022 New Upgraded Tracer-AN MPPT solar charge controller, Better funcations and advanced technology , Support lead-acid batteries and Lithium Batteries :LiFePO4 (4s/12V; 8s/24V); Li (NiCoMn)O2 (3s/12V; 6s/24V) . More Safety Protection.
The maxPV voltage of 100 will handle 57.6voc and the battery selection on the controller for Li, flooded, gel, etc assures the correct charging voltage...is that right?

The maxPV voltage of 100 will handle 57.6voc and the battery selection on the controller for Li, flooded, gel, etc assures the correct charging voltage...is that right?

Yes , 100v max controller is ideal for a 57.6voc panel

And yes, I am pretty sure your batteries are flooded lead acid correct? Either way, whatever batteries you have, this EPever should be suitable . Just select the correct battery type

They are a very popular MPPT charge controller so lots of videos on YouTube as to how to set up correctly

Yes , 100v max controller is ideal for a 57.6voc panel

And yes, I am pretty sure your batteries are flooded lead acid correct? Either way, whatever batteries you have, this EPever should be suitable . Just select the correct battery type

They are a very popular MPPT charge controller so lots of videos on YouTube as to how to set up correctly

Sorry, your batteries are AGM!

the 'gel' setting is also suitable for AGM

Back