diy solar

diy solar

Adding batteries

gnappi

I haven't seen this discussed sorry if it was, a link is appreciated.

I have a Renogy 60A CC and I want to add a battery, the problem I'm having is connectivity cabling.

Most cables I see are thinly stranded battery jumper type cables but I have not seen any jumper cables with thicker / fewer OFC conductors. Is there some preferences of one over another?

Is tinned copper more surface corrosion resistant BUT will it offer more resistance? ?

Last edited:
From what I understand, having more strands in a wire, especially in larger cables like 4/0 AWG, is advantageous. It increases the cable's flexibility, making it easier to maneuver, and provides better conductivity compared to solid wire.

Reference: https://titanwnc.com/2022/03/solid-vs-stranded-vs-braided-wire-whats-the-difference/

Regarding tinned copper, my research suggests they have nearly the same resistance, but that tinned copper will be much better for applications where corrosive environmental factors are greater.

In my 48v system, I have used exclusively wire from Spartan Power for all of the main connections from my battery bank through my Victron Lynx and onward to the inverter. The welding cable is designed for the highest demanding applications and it has excellent shielding both strong and flexible. While the cable I've used is not tinned, tinned most only benefits when the wire is actually exposed. My ring terminals are tinned and the wire is completely shielded from the atmosphere by encasing all the wires in the terminal with a high-grade shrink tube that includes an interior glue that seals the entire connection between the cable and ring terminal.

These are the ring terminals and shrink tubing I've been using for a few years on multiple applications and they've held up perfectly even in oceanfront applications.

Back