diy solar

diy solar

Advice on 3s2p

Tom, I ask you a beginner's question: Considering that my batteries are at 12v the panels even if they have a maximum ovc 89 volts, when connected to the scc they begin to deliver exceeded the initial 12v being the accumulation at 12 or not?
A 12v battery needs higher than 12v to charge. About 14v to start. What voltages, measured at the battery terminals, are you seeing during charging?

Thanks for the advice, and how much should I put the batteries in volts? I have 4 from 12v in parallel for a total of 440 amps .

I think you’re confusing panel voltage to battery charging voltage. The job of the charge controller, your Epever, is to take the 80v+ volts coming from the panels and converting it to an appropriate voltage (and amps) to charge the battery. This is why you never want to connect panels directly to the battery, as you’d cause damage and maybe a fire.

I think you’re confusing panel voltage to battery charging voltage. The job of the charge controller, your Epever, is to take the 80v+ volts coming from the panels and converting it to an appropriate voltage (and amps) to charge the battery. This is why you never want to connect panels directly to the battery, as you’d cause damage and maybe a fire.
But no Tom! Surely I explained myself badly because of the Italian English translation. I wanted to say that the 80 volts that arrive at the cc, are converted for charging to the batteries that in my case are at 12v. The question or rather my doubt was related to the fact that if I put the batteries in series for example at 24 volts, then I would get 24 220 amps, would it be more performing or not?To give you an idea, here is my plant:

Attachments

• IMG_4999.JPG
    IMG_4999.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 1
But no Tom! Surely I explained myself badly because of the Italian English translation. I wanted to say that the 80 volts that arrive at the cc, are converted for charging to the batteries that in my case are at 12v. The question or rather my doubt was related to the fact that if I put the batteries in series for example at 24 volts, then I would get 24 220 amps, would it be more performing or not?To give you an idea, here is my plant:

Ah, gotcha. That I don’t know because I only know much of anything about 12v systems.

What I do know about 24v systems is that unless you’re using a prebuilt 24v battery, putting two 12v batteries in series, while technically possible, comes with a bunch of caveats. And this requires you to buy a new inverter that is designed for 24v. If you hook up your 12v inverter to a 24v battery, you’ll let out the magic smoke. ?

Ah, gotcha. That I don’t know because I only know much of anything about 12v systems.

What I do know about 24v systems is that unless you’re using a prebuilt 24v battery, putting two 12v batteries in series, while technically possible, comes with a bunch of caveats. And this requires you to buy a new inverter that is designed for 24v. If you hook up your 12v inverter to a 24v battery, you’ll let out the magic smoke. ?
It is clear, I would have to change the inverter to 24 v. But would this possible change lead to benefits or not?

It is clear, I would have to change the inverter to 24 v. But would this possible change lead to benefits or not?

That I’m not sure about. I think that your panels will be more efficient, but I’m not sure. It’sa solar power 101 basic question but just don’t know.

Are you not getting enough power in your current setup? Or are you wanting to grow your system to power more stuff?

That I’m not sure about. I think that your panels will be more efficient, but I’m not sure. It’sa solar power 101 basic question but just don’t know.

Are you not getting enough power in your current setup? Or are you wanting to grow your system to power more stuff?
No tom, I just wanted to optimize with what I have.

No tom, I just wanted to optimize with what I have.

Well I think the cost of a new inverter would be an expensive way to optimize. I mean if your system is working fine now, why spend more money? What time of day does your system drop to float charging?

Well I think the cost of a new inverter would be an expensive way to optimize. I mean if your system is working fine now, why spend more money? What time of day does your system drop to float charging?
Hi Tom, I appreciate your advice, My system floats as a result of the daily load it receives. Example, normally the system has a constant load of 170 watts that during the day, so when in the evening I have little consumption or take 2 kwh, in this summer the float is reached around 14.00 pm.Today as the first test of the panels in series so the famous 80 volts, the situation is this time ( 8:05 AM )

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-30 alle 08.02.13.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-30 alle 08.02.13.png
    482 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for your point of view, and especially for the time you dedicated to me!

Well I’ve visited your country twice now (sadly not Sicily yet) and was blown away by how kindly and generously I was treated there. I look forward to the day I can return and eat most anything in Italy! So suffice to say I love helping those who have been so good to me.

A tangent: I’m learning that often the people of a country are quite different from their political leaders or their history. Germans are a good example. They’re typically very humble in light of ww2. But their food isn’t quite as good as yours ? I had a similar experience when I visited Italy. Especially the Vatican. The Church has done some nasty things but I did feel something holy in St. Peter’s.

Well I’ve visited your country twice now (sadly not Sicily yet) and was blown away by how kindly and generously I was treated there. I look forward to the day I can return and eat most anything in Italy! So suffice to say I love helping those who have been so good to me.

A tangent: I’m learning that often the people of a country are quite different from their political leaders or their history. Germans are a good example. They’re typically very humble in light of ww2. But their food isn’t quite as good as yours ? I had a similar experience when I visited Italy. Especially the Vatican. The Church has done some nasty things but I did feel something holy in St. Peter’s.
Even if we go out of the photovoltaic topic I agree with you . However, the place where you were born makes the cultural difference of each individual and shapes it therefore sometimes you are convinced to do or say things according to our personal point of view that in the end I do not have it! One day when you have the opportunity to come to Scilia, I will take you to Cicero or tourist guide.

Back