diy solar

diy solar

Advice on best grid tie solution under 1KW in UK - 2024

cunninr2

Hey diysolarforum members.

I'm looking to start a DIY project. Its 2024, and things are moving fast in solar. I would like some advice on correct installation. So my thoughts are below. Would be interested if anyone could comment on my assumptions for UK install.

This install would be under 1kw solar install, (no danger of exceeding 3.68Kw grid tied to UK power network), so falls under g98 regulation.

I just want to cover my power base load for now, hence less than 1Kw.

I am looking at 2 or 3 Craig solar 330w panels with vmp of 34v wired in series.
Looking at latest invertors that are on g98 compliance list, the growatt 750TL-x looks ideal (could go to next one up also).

The location is at the back of the house, so would rather link into nearest mains socket than run power cable to the distribution board. Is this allowed if fused correctly?

I understand I might need to install a lockable isolator switch between panels and invertor, but again not sure if this is a necessity since the grid tie invertor would cut power on mains side power loss anyway. Any thoughts on this?

Total cost for solar panels + invertor + panel wiring and mains wiring, I estimate to be approx. £700.

Lastly, I'm assuming I can just fill in the DNO g98 form myself, and apply without needing to be an MCS accredited installer?

Really interested to hear your thoughts and any similar installs from UK only. (Since regs are different in other parts of world).

Last edited:
The lockable isolator is for an electrician so as to ensure when he is working on the installation and he is not in sight then a 2nd party cannot turn it back on and electrocute him.

MCS is not needed, DIY only is sometimes caught by DNO but covered by a qualified electrician sign off after his inspection and any rectification.

Using a mains plug is verboten, you need to run to the consumer unit with a dedicated MCB, normally 16A but for 1kw 5A would work.

Back