diy solar

diy solar

Hi all from the UK - Looking to design and install a complete PV + Battery solution for 2024

You can mount some panels on that wall with the drainpipe no windows under roof B. A 15 degree angle or so would optimise winter production.

Is this with regards to the inverter being AIO with a battery charging capability?
Yes. I have a Solis Hybrid inverter, so was thinking along those lines. Maybe a brace of Sunsynks would be better for your load requirements and give you more MPPT inputs.

Something I hadn't thought of, or at least didn't think it would generate any worthwhile returns.. Will research, thanks!
Looking at the house plan, you'll likely need separate MPPT input for the garage roof due to the shading from the house.

The PV Watts calculator predicts 6:1
From my experience (being close by), I was going to say 8:1... looks like @rpdom's figures confirm that too.

and since you have half the year with high sun angle - nearly overhead - I wouldn't rule out any of the roof areas you have
LOL, I wish!... we're not anywhere near the equator! Don't go by the nice CGI sales image of the house ?. London gets about 62 degrees max at summer solstice and a measly 15 degrees for midday on the 21st of December - assuming it's sunny on that day :cool:? ?️.

I do this during summer in my system, since the EV has considerable storage capacty
Out of interest, what vehicle do you have? I like the concept, but from my limited research good / cost-effective V2H solutions seem to be lacking over here - I heard the Nissan Leaf has that capability, but understood the bi-directional chargers were very expensive?

You can mount some panels on that wall with the drainpipe no windows under roof B. A 15 degree angle or so would optimise winter production.
Nice idea, but would need to consider...

a) I'm pretty sure that's a CGI image of the property from the developer - being the UK, there's probably another house 2 foot to the right, unless the OP is on a really posh estate ;)

b) To get 15 degree angle would mean the bottom edge of the panels would project more than 200mm off the wall. That would bring you into scope of needing planning permission, as it would no longer be a "permitted development". Just another step to consider.

Nice idea, but that definitely wouldn't pass the wife test.

@SeaGal Fortunately I don't have any houses on the West or North facing walls.....

1698752318371.png

1698752381040.png

Note, from the drawings it seems the main roof has 40 degree pitch, and the garage 32 degrees.

Last edited:
Out of interest, what vehicle do you have? I like the concept, but from my limited research good / cost-effective V2H solutions seem to be lacking over here - I heard the Nissan Leaf has that capability, but understood the bi-directional chargers were very expensive?

A friend of mine is using a "Seetec 4.2kw 6kv Chademo to 220-250V AC 50hz single phase inverter", apparently. Not heard anything negative but will ask, it's been a year since he first mentioned it to me. He has a 2nd gen Leaf.

1698754907301.png

Attachments

• 1698754878120.png
    1698754878120.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Out of interest, what vehicle do you have? I like the concept, but from my limited research good / cost-effective V2H solutions seem to be lacking over here
we bought a (used)2018 Kona and use it for trips to the (nearby) City. cost per km is a few cents if we charge off-peak utility. During Summer we usually get to charge from the solar during the day - ie lilke increasing my battery bank, or at least avoiding lossing the solar on a good day in July due to the solar ESS being full, and no-where else for the excess power to go. And no, not V2L yet, that will have to wait for the next EV, hopefully a pickup truck to replace my 34-cents/km 2500 Dodge Ram (expensive gas in Canada, cheap electricity) hope to see Dodge, GM, Ford, Nissan work on perfecting EV pickup trucks and these all seem to be designed with V2L so this will also increase my ESS when the truck is home. :)

From my experience (being close by), I was going to say 8:1... looks like @rpdom's figures confirm that too.
8:1 YIKES!
okay wow, I will stop complaining about my 3.5:1 ratio now.
With low solar during a significant part of the year, I would be mindful of the idle consumption for any equipment selected, to avoid the standby consumption using ALL the incoming solar during winter.

8:1 YIKES!
okay wow, I will stop complaining about my 3.5:1 ratio now.
With low solar during a significant part of the year, I would be mindful of the idle consumption for any equipment selected, to avoid the standby consumption using ALL the incoming solar during winter.
Or charge up your batteries on cheap overnight power and run off them during the day. Any PV generation is a bonus.

Or charge up your batteries on cheap overnight power and run off them during the day. Any PV generation is a bonus.
Which is where I am at the moment at this time of year, not a lot of sun but I knew that would be the case when setting it all up. I am getting some solar but most of that is being used to cover the general house consumption.

That is my set up for NOV-DEC- 1st-1/2Jan - let the Solar collect what it can during the day, then at night during low cost ToU power rate, charge up the ESS to nearly full. If the solar was decent during the day, then less charge required that night, if it was cloudy all day, then more charging that night, but at least it is half price power.

Edit: and one other advantage is power outages in my area are most frequent during winter, so the nightly re-charge generally means we will have full/nearly full ESS when the outage occurs

Last edited:
I ended up with a 8.2kw DIY install with a 5kw hybrid inverter with 10KW battery storage. This is also with a G98 and a G99.
This enabled me to get a 5kw export rate from the DNO and for which I am being paid for by Octopus. Exported a tenner worth of electric already this year and Jan's a pretty poor month.
Whole system payback is looking at 48months. Cost me £8.5K, over double that for someone else to do it.
Took me about 8 months in staged builds and permissions but its certainly achievable.

I would plan out your systems, starting with say the small garage roof only...Apply for a G98 buy with a 5 kw hybrid inverter. That way they will allow it , and as you build more on later (time and money permitting), its just an add on of panels.

Contact your local council and ask for a "building compliance cert" for your work. Also make sure you obtain full electrical test certificate from your sparky for your solar...will need these later for octopus energy export payments and also handy if ever selling property.
Make sure you use full industry accepted components.. even down to roof hooks and rails. Easy to start up a wholesale trade account to obtain best prices.
Make sure your intended inverter and batteries are compatible, I would hold off on the battery purchases for a bit as prices about to drop a lot more.. Also batteries that can be expanded like pylontec.
My initial install didn't have the batteries, hybrids don't need them, and in my case funding money was coming in in dribs and drabs. Can add them later and be aware they can limit permissions from the DNO.
I just upgraded my G98 to a G99 later on, and with some additional electrical safety checks (which is a requirement for higher export limits on the G99 fast track), found it pretty straight forward.
I found a tower sufficient but had to move it several times, also they are in expensive and reusable.
U tube invaluable, for inverter set up training sessions and connections. Worth following it to the letter. Also tips on installation.
Fit bird netting to any higher arrays...use the black plastic coated wire, and steel fixings..not the plastic ones which dont last.
Found taking a long time to complete very enjoyable and easily one of the best projects I have ever done.

Back