diy solar

diy solar

Advice on connectors for 200A 24VDC

krby

Solar Enthusiast
For my mobile electric generator, I'm considering having the battery in a separate container from the inverter/charger and other electronics. To make make setup and teardown easier, I'm looking at high current connectors for connecting the 24V battery to an inverter charger. I'll have a 200A fuse, and 2/0 AWG wire (I've oversized a bit here, I expect nothing more than 100A continuous) I'm familiar with the Anderson Power Poles 15/30/45 connectors, so I went linking to see if they had anything that could handle 200A. I don't need to actually connect/disconnect that much live current. I'll have a disconnect switch I would switch off before touching this connector.

So far, I'm looking at:
  • SB350 housing with a pair of 2/0 contacts. This is a BIG connector. The data sheet says a mated pair is about 7.2in" long
  • SB 2/0 housing with a pair of 2/0 contacts. This is sized like the SB175 connector, which is about to be 5.25" long for a mated pair. This looks sort of new and is harder.
  • A pair PP180 housings with 2/0 contacts. This housing looks like a scaled up version of the traditional PowerPole housing. Looking at Anderson's data sheet, I can sort of infer it'll handle at least 200A using the 2/0 connector. Mated, these are about 5.5" long. From what I can tell, the 2/0 contact this housing uses is the same as the one for the SB 2/0 housing.
I'm pretty familiar with the smaller APP connectors but I don't know anything about these or anything else in this class. So far, the SB series seems easier to connect and disconnect, but I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards the SB 2/0, but I wish it was easier to get hold of and more people had experience with it.

Any advice on these or anything else that will do the job is appreciated.

Last edited:
Id avoid the SB connectors and just use lugs with a bolt to join them.

Id avoid the SB connectors and just use lugs with a bolt to join them.

I just updated the original post. The reason I'm looking at these connectors, is that I want to make it easier to transport the equipment, set it up, and tear it down. If I was keeping it mounted on a wall, or keeping it all in one container, I'd definitely use lugs. That was my original plan, but I'm looking at separate boxes now.

The "Proper" Anderson connectors have been used for years on industrial equipment and are designed to be tough and handle the amperages they are rated for. Can't say anything about other similar stuff, I don't know. I've used the andersons and the smaller one (175) was a PITA, then a buddy got the bigger set SB300 I think with the handle of course and that was solid but easier to split. He soldered the wire into the lugs using a MAPP Gas torch to heat the plug with the solder in it after having pretinned the copper wire.

MAPP Gas:

I realize this is an old post, but I have a similar setup to the OP. I use SB175 connectors for my battery to inverter connections. I don't really understand some of their nomenclature - but my understanding is the SB175's are rated for up 280a, and 100a of hot-plugging. I have 1/0 gauge SB175's coming off my inverter, and also from my battery box. They are as short as possible while still able to connect, though I also have a 24" SB175-to SB175 jumper if for some reason I need to locate them further apart.

I have found them plenty durable, fast and easy to dis/connect, and great for this application. I also use SB50's (on 8-gauge) between my arrays and charge controller.

I did just re-wire all my panels (portable/mobile seutp) to be on Powerpole 45's for a tool-less setup, which I regret. Those are NOT durable - and while my crimps held, the housing gets ripped off the terminals pretty easily, and the slightest tension and they disconnect. On the hunt for a better single-conductor solution now.

-Matt

I ended up just going with a single box (not as portable as I would like, but does roll) with both the inverter and battery, so I used crimped lugs rather than Anderson connector.

I ended up just going with a single box (not as portable as I would like, but does roll) with both the inverter and battery, so I used crimped lugs rather than Anderson connector.

Nice. I just picked up the Costco-special batteries (Lion 105ah LiFeP04 drop-ins), so going to build another single-box setup. I have a few spare Pelican cases, but don't really need that level of waterproof-ness, and prefer the larger wheels on some of the rolling Husky-style toolboxes.

My current plan is 210ah of batteries, with 3kw inverter and 40a charge controller. I think the total weight will end up around 60lbs, which isn't too bad. I might still install an SB175 lead for expanding the battery bank when needed.

Back