diy solar

diy solar

Advice wanted plugging into home fusebox

solarsurfer123

Hi all,
Sorry, but quiet a few questions...

So, I have a fusebox in the house, one in the shed, one in the garage, one in the greenhouse.
I want to know if I can add solar panels to the shed, and connect it through the fusebox in the shed to pass excess power to the house, or the garage ?
If so what do I need to make this work and are the maximum panels i can add restricted by the size of the cable from the shed to the house ?

I also want to add some panels outside the greenhouse, can i do the same ?
I have a bit of room in the garden so can add quiet a few panels, can I mix different panels, what should i install to help me with not having to throw out something because it isnt powerful enough to take the load ? What is adding more panels later restricted by.

I won't even start on the batteries yet, that question is for another day.
Cheers in advance

Fusebox? Will assume you mean breaker panels and the one in the house is a main panel fed directly from the utility meter then the other 3 are subpanels and are fed by the main panel. If this is so and none of the panels has a separate meter then solar power injected in any panel is available to any and/or all of the others. Where the solar power gets consumed is dependent on how much goes in and what the loads are on each panel.
You can accomplish this with strickly Grid-Tie system which would have no battery and would not function if the grid went down. Its also possible to use a Grid-Tie hybrid inverter that doesn't need a battery to operate but could accept one later.
Issues:
1) Grid-Tied generally requires a building permit AND an interconnect agreement with the utility even in cases where the solar system is set up for zero export. If not zero export then an interconnect agreement is necessary to get paid for the exported electricity.
2) You mentioned restrictions due to cable size. Yes, there is a 120% rule based on the bus bar rating of the breaker panel the solar system/inverter(s) are tied to. The rule would apply to each of your subpanels as well as the main panel.

In your situation with all those subpanels I believe a better choice may be to install separate, small hybrid systems at each of the subpanels you want to supplement with solar. The idea being to use Off-Grid all-in-one inverters at each of the 3 locations. These type do not back-feed power to the grid.
Utility power is removed from the subpanel and the inverter is installed so it feeds directly to the subpanel. The utility wire is then reconnected to the hybrid inverter AC input and only used when needed to service the load at night and/or charge batteries if solar is low due to clouds.

Fusebox? Will assume you mean breaker panels and the one in the house is a main panel fed directly from the utility meter then the other 3 are subpanels and are fed by the main panel. If this is so and none of the panels has a separate meter then solar power injected in any panel is available to any and/or all of the others. Where the solar power gets consumed is dependent on how much goes in and what the loads are on each panel.
You can accomplish this with strickly Grid-Tie system which would have no battery and would not function if the grid went down. Its also possible to use a Grid-Tie hybrid inverter that doesn't need a battery to operate but could accept one later.
Issues:
1) Grid-Tied generally requires a building permit AND an interconnect agreement with the utility even in cases where the solar system is set up for zero export. If not zero export then an interconnect agreement is necessary to get paid for the exported electricity.
2) You mentioned restrictions due to cable size. Yes, there is a 120% rule based on the bus bar rating of the breaker panel the solar system/inverter(s) are tied to. The rule would apply to each of your subpanels as well as the main panel.

In your situation with all those subpanels I believe a better choice may be to install separate, small hybrid systems at each of the subpanels you want to supplement with solar. The idea being to use Off-Grid all-in-one inverters at each of the 3 locations. These type do not back-feed power to the grid.
Utility power is removed from the subpanel and the inverter is installed so it feeds directly to the subpanel. The utility wire is then reconnected to the hybrid inverter AC input and only used when needed to service the load at night and/or charge batteries if solar is low due to clouds.
Huge Thanks !
And it all makes sense
Thanks !

Are you from Bedford in the UK? If so there's a whole load of regulations and things you need to know about connecting a PV system to your mains.

Yes, you could probably put an inverter with panels in your shed and feed it back into your system through the fusebox (consumer units). The breakers/fuses will need to be large enough to cope with the load as will the cables. You may also need an extra ground.

You need professional help if you are based In the UK, not only with the planning process for the electrical circuits but selection of approved equipment and carrying out the instalation. Having a few panels to power the shed is DIY possible, ( but could still kill you if not installed correctly), but connecting to utility circuits is a serious matter. In the UK there is very little modification you can legally carry out on the AC system unless you are suitably qualified.
Installing panels does not need planning permission but the mechanical fixing has to meet building regulations, weight and wind loading on the roof structure. The electrical interconnections of the panels and suitable protection and isolation has to meet regulations. In general panels should all have similar characteristics, the larger 300 to 400 watt panels being the best value.
There are a number of companies that offer kits to help the Installion but professionals are still required to commission the system.

Mike

You need professional help if you are based In the UK, not only with the planning process for the electrical circuits but selection of approved equipment and carrying out the instalation. Having a few panels to power the shed is DIY possible, ( but could still kill you if not installed correctly), but connecting to utility circuits is a serious matter. In the UK there is very little modification you can legally carry out on the AC system unless you are suitably qualified.
Installing panels does not need planning permission but the mechanical fixing has to meet building regulations, weight and wind loading on the roof structure. The electrical interconnections of the panels and suitable protection and isolation has to meet regulations. In general panels should all have similar characteristics, the larger 300 to 400 watt panels being the best value.
There are a number of companies that offer kits to help the Installion but professionals are still required to commission the system.

Mike
Why is it there is always someone who thinks the average person in the UK is thick and stupid, so we must appoint someone who is a professional ? We do not have professionals in the UK because the average person is stupid, it is becuase the UK Government make tons of money by charging professionals to do the job, via a "Job tax" ! Most so called "professionals" in all UK trades, from first hand knowledge, pay hundreds of pounds to pass a test, get a cert, charge huge amounts of money, and are totally useless ! So that's how good professionals are in the UK !
This is not a difficult job to install. making basic things happen, like turning off the supply first before attacking a fuse box (Yes we call it a fuse box over here).
So please guys, stop cracking the whip, and come out with some usefull stuff, I mean that is what this website is all about. otherwise you might as well only have one subject question, with one reply "get a professional " !!!

Why is it there is always someone who thinks the average person in the UK is thick and stupid, so we must appoint someone who is a professional ? We do not have professionals in the UK because the average person is stupid, it is becuase the UK Government make tons of money by charging professionals to do the job, via a "Job tax" ! Most so called "professionals" in all UK trades, from first hand knowledge, pay hundreds of pounds to pass a test, get a cert, charge huge amounts of money, and are totally useless ! So that's how good professionals are in the UK !
This is not a difficult job to install. making basic things happen, like turning off the supply first before attacking a fuse box (Yes we call it a fuse box over here).
So please guys, stop cracking the whip, and come out with some usefull stuff, I mean that is what this website is all about. otherwise you might as well only have one subject question, with one reply "get a professional " !!!

I'll try with some useful stuff ?‍? (and maybe a little bit of whip cracking)...

There are a quite a number of us in the UK (myself and @rpdom included) with DIY solar installations, who are active on this forum. Whether or not a so-called professional is needed for some or all of an installation will depend on a number of factors, but chiefly will depend on the topology of your existing circuitry and the individual's competence.

For installations in the UK you will need to comply with Building Regs Part P, IET Wiring Regulations (BS7671) and, assuming you are looking at an installation of 3.6kW generation or lower, then your inverter will need to be G98 compliant and you will need to inform your DNO within 30 days of commissioning. This will likely need to involve a sparky, if only to sign off your DIY installation for Part P.

You say "This is not a difficult job to install. making basic things happen, like turning off the supply first before attacking a fuse box (Yes we call it a fuse box over here)."

I agree it is not difficult for someone with the right qualifications and/or knowledge. ?‍? However from the nature and tone ("Attacking"... really?) of your postings - and excuse me if I have made the wrong assumptions - I don't get the impression that you have the 'skills' referred to by the IET... specifically ‘a person who possesses, as appropriate to the nature of the electrical work to be undertaken, adequate education, training and practical skills, and who is able to perceive risks and avoid hazards which electricity can create.’ Sure, a lay-person calls it a fusebox in the UK, but the more common terminology used over here by knowledgeable DIYers and professionals is a 'consumer unit'. You also don't mention anything about distances between the house and shed, or the type and capacity of the existing wiring, or fusing, or your existing earthing arrangements. If you can get back with some of those details - ideally with a diagram of your existing wiring - then maybe we can help further?

Finally, with regard to connecting via the 'fusebox' in the shed, please note that a solar photovoltaic (PV) power supply system connection into an existing final circuit is not permitted under BS 7671. (regulation 712.411.3.2.1.1). Hence, subject to the routing of the existing wiring, it is quite likely that a new circuit, SWA cable & associated breakers would need to be installed.

The fact that you asked on a DIY forum suggests that you need advice on your proposed changes to your AC systen. At the end of the day someone has to sign of the work and provide certification. The guy who does this has spent much time and money on training courses and has been examined on his competence. His job is to ensure you system is safe .

I strongly disagree with your attack on professional competent electricians.

Just go ahead with your half arsed ideas of connecting panels to fuseboxes, this could result in your death and that of totally incident folk.

I gave you details of a company that could supply approved equipment, the planning of the instalation and its implementation is not trivial and I suggest is beyond the capabilities of anyone without a strong background in electrical systems.

FYI it takes years of lessons and apprenticing to become a qualified electrician in the UK, not a few hundred quid and some weeks of courses.

I'll be installing a DIY solar install into a new shed but I wouldn't consider feeding back to the house without consulting an electrician.

Back