diy solar

diy solar

System design and scaling

xcentric

Learning, fast and slow.....
Currently playing with numbers and spreadsheets and possible bulk purchases of solar panels by the pallet.....

I do know the idea is to size house loads, then get panels, inverter and batteries to fit, but large quantities of panels are cheaper (e.g. 20 panels in 2 loads of 10 is about the same as a pallet of 32 - so 12 extra for free) - so if the additional bits aren't too bad, and I have space (and I could use another car port, and could cove the other shed with panels.....) then it's worth looking at - hence this post.....

If I have an excess of panels and put then on the shed, the garage, the roof and so on, I may end up with substantially more solar capacity than inverter capacity. For example, I might have 14kW of solar and, say, a 6kW inverter. Now, I know I can over panel the inverter to 8kW according to its specs, but that still leaves me with 6kW.

Inverter setup is hybrid with 15.5kWh battery - would you be tempted to buy a second inverter, and run it as a slave, or just a couple of standalone MPPTs and have them feed directly into the battery as well?

Pros and cons of each? Inverter is about £850, MPPT is about £150 (so £300 for two). Just MPPT will mean wiring up the panels differently but that's no problem at install time, more of a hassle later. 2 inverters gives more potential house power but it doesn't really need it. Or buy a larger inverter in the first place (8kW that can be overdriven to 10.4kW but I still then have a shed with half a pallet of panels in it :)).

Comments, experiences and views welcomed.

Personally in that situation I'd go for two inverters in parallel - granted you don't think you need that capacity now, but may in the future (thinking ASHP / EV / Induction hob etc.) Then you have redundancy if one inverter fails.

Reactions: JRH
Personally in that situation I'd go for two inverters in parallel - granted you don't think you need that capacity now, but may in the future (thinking ASHP / EV / Induction hob etc.) Then you have redundancy if one inverter fails.
Good point… I have two 24v multiplus 3000 inverters.. one is mounted …and one is in its box in the spare parts section.I don’t need anymore power than one can supply for my RV…

If my needs change , or the connected one gets zapped , or quits , I can install the new one in place in about 30 min +/-…. Ya never know , ya know..

J.

Yeah - see later posts - am currently looking at one 5kW inverter and one 8kW one - as much as it's simpler to wire to two separate inverters as the sites for panels are 40m apart..... makes for two simpler cable runs and no trenching etc.

Back