diy solar

diy solar

AGM vs FLA for auto starting battery

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
I have a car that will sit for a couple of weeks at a time and is stored all winter with a trickle charger. The factory battery is now 13 years old, about 5 years ago, I hit it with a homemade desulfator, which worked well. I no longer have the desulfator, but think it's time to replace the battery.

Is AGM worth the extra money in this application?

I haven't had any better luck with agm over fla and this is with 30 or 40 vehicles I keep in "working" order.

I have had amazing luck keeping a battery desulfator on them.

The only batteries I have seen a noticeable difference in are high lead content ones lifespan wise. These are agm batteries but these are the only agm batteries I have noticed a difference in.

I have a pair of these in a superduty pickup and they are over 13 years old now and still work like new.

Why do XS Power batteries cost more than flooded batteries?
XS Power batteries are manufactured using only virgin lead, 99.99% pure compared to most batteries that use recycled lead. The pure-lead design means better performance. In other words, MORE POWER!

Grids are thinner. This allows for more grids which means more surface area in a smaller package. More surface area means MORE POWER!
AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) design means longer life, vibration resistant, deep cycle and can be mounted in any position (except upside down).

-----

The one drawback with these batteries they are not cheap. I wouldn't spend this much unless needed.

I have never seen a battery that lasted longer than the OEM. Problem is a lot of the dealer batteries aren't exactly the same as the OEM model. I think they care most about the one installed at the factory as that's what their warranty will cover.

After OEM, it was always Interstate that lasted longest. Especially any model with the green top, flooded or AGM.

Back