diy solar

diy solar

Alberta Lithium

I had to buy a few 100AH batteries for work. I was going to order the Alberta Lithium's but the Renogy were about $650 all in (tax and shipping). The ABLith withe $450+100 shipping for me east of Toronto, plus tax on the shipping so about $570. For the extra $80 I went for the Renogy and added in the bluetooth dongles. Seem like good batteries and well reviewed.

Not sure if I would do the same if it were my wallet. But I guess thats why I am trolling around looking at DIY options for home.

--

I should add. The Renogy were $740 less 10% with the WillProwse coupon code (Anyone else that has bought from them can give you a code as well). Saying that in Canada right now its like no coupon codes are being excepted now. Not sure if that will change.

I have waded through all the BS emails and responses on the Alibaba minefield regarding raw cells from China. I have found the DIY route may not be worth it, with savings not justifying all the rigmarole. Also, exporting such cells to Canada is on hold right now and even the AB Lithium guy has supply problems. That said, I am considering 2 of their 100 Ah batteries or possibly Renogy equivalents (15-20% pricier w/free delivery).
Have found nothing online showing what is in their batteries at AB Lithium, but 1 positive (non-technical) review:
Also a capacity test:
I would prefer his 280 Ah option for $1200 CA, but none available right now. Any updates or experiences greatly appreciated. I am going nowhere before spring, so have time to decide.

Last edited:
I have waded through all the BS emails and responses on the Alibaba minefield regarding raw cells from China. I have found the DIY route may not be worth it, with savings not justifying all the rigmarole. Also, exporting such cells to Canada is on hold right now and even the AB Lithium guy has supply problems. That said, I am considering 2 of their 100 Ah batteries or possibly Renogy equivalents (15-20% pricier w/free delivery).
Have found nothing online showing what is in their batteries at AB Lithium, but 1 positive (non-technical) review:
and a capacity test video:
I would prefer his 280 Ah option for $1200 CA, but none available right now. Any updates or experiences greatly appreciated. I am going nowhere before spring, so have time to decide.
I bought two of their 100Ahr batteries (same as the grey units shown in your attached videos) for my motorhome and installed them last July. I have an all-electric fridge which runs on a Samlex EVO-1212 inverter/charger/transfer switch unit. I also have a 150W solar panel on the roof with a Victron MPPT controller that connects through the EVO.
The only issue I noticed right off is the batteries will disconnect once the charging voltage hits ~14.2 volts. I was concerned about this at first, but the battery is virtually 100% charged at that point. I planned on an approx. 90 to 20% charge cycle for long battery life. I've set the EVO and Victron for a target charge voltage of 14.1 volts and my Victron battery monitor shows I'm getting around 80Ahr from the battery before the low voltage disconnect on the EVO kicks in. I haven't taken it down to the point where the battery BMS cuts off..

I'm thinking the BMS is set for high voltage cut-off of 14.2V to stay on the safe side and not push the cells to max. I've disconnected them for the winter and so far (mid Oct till now) the batteries have dropped 0.01V. I discharged them to about 60% for winter storage. The motorhome sits in a heated garage for the winter so I have no cold weather experience.

The batteries are made by Lithtech which seems to be a large manufacturer in China.

So for me, so far so good!

I bought two of their 100Ahr batteries (same as the grey units shown in your attached videos) for my motorhome and installed them last July. I have an all-electric fridge which runs on a Samlex EVO-1212 inverter/charger/transfer switch unit. I also have a 150W solar panel on the roof with a Victron MPPT controller that connects through the EVO.
The only issue I noticed right off is the batteries will disconnect once the charging voltage hits ~14.2 volts. I was concerned about this at first, but the battery is virtually 100% charged at that point. I planned on an approx. 90 to 20% charge cycle for long battery life. I've set the EVO and Victron for a target charge voltage of 14.1 volts and my Victron battery monitor shows I'm getting around 80Ahr from the battery before the low voltage disconnect on the EVO kicks in. I haven't taken it down to the point where the battery BMS cuts off..

I'm thinking the BMS is set for high voltage cut-off of 14.2V to stay on the safe side and not push the cells to max. I've disconnected them for the winter and so far (mid Oct till now) the batteries have dropped 0.01V. I discharged them to about 60% for winter storage. The motorhome sits in a heated garage for the winter so I have no cold weather experience.

The batteries are made by Lithtech which seems to be a large manufacturer in China.

Interesting that the high voltage cutoff is set that low. I think the spec sheet says 14.6v. On mine I noticed the low temperature cut off is activating around 4c which is a bit high but I’m ok with that.

Thank you Mr. Burns, all that info will help my decision process, especially if the quality seems fine.

I purchased a 280Ah house battery from AB Lithium for my aluminum cabin boat back in May 2021. So far I haven't had any problems however, now that it's winter I can't recall what the cutoff voltage was although I'm certain it was higher than 14.1v. I will update this as soon as run the boat long enough for my DC-DC charger to fully charge it.

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 18
Now you guys have my attention! I have narrowed AB Lithium down to being best value in Canada regarding assembled batteries. Also I live in Alberta, so at least I have somewhere to go to resolve problems rather than a web site or cell manufacturer in China.

That said, before I lay down my $1400 I want to fully understand that the 14.2v limit (if all are set at that) will not impede usable capacity. I have referenced a few charts and they agree with you Mr. Burns, as even 13.6v represents "full".

If nominal charging voltage is 14.6v, can the charger can still operate at full voltage. Will the BMS still accept 14.6v coming in until the battery itself reaches 14.2? Not sure how this stuff works.

I purchased a 280Ah house battery from AB Lithium for my aluminum cabin boat back in May 2021. So far I haven't had any problems however, now that it's winter I can't recall what the cutoff voltage was although I'm certain it was higher than 14.1v. I will update this as soon as run the boat long enough for my DC-DC charger to fully charge it.
Nice clear pics, thank you. I need at least 2 x 100Ah, but like you I have limited space (smaller trailer). Makes more sense for me to pony up the extra $400 for the 280Ah battery rather than eff about with heavy cables and lugs to parallel 2 or 3. Then I'll have power to spare. Unfortunately the 280 Ah have been out of stock for months, hopefully available soon.
Does the Renogy DC-DC charger have adjustable output voltage? If so, you'd set it at 14.2 or 14.6?

I have not played with the Renogy charger very much and to be honest, aside from using the little pin hole button to set the battery chemistry type your charging, I don't there is any other way to interface with it? This is the Renogy DC-DC charger with Solar MPPT charge controller unit but because the DC-DC charge function works so insanely well charging from just my 200hp outboard engine, I haven't even bothered to connect my two 80W CIGS panels yet. I'm attaching the specs sheet for the 280Ah battery in case you don't already have it.

Attachments

• Alberta Lithium 280ahmarine series spec sheet.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
I have not played with the Renogy charger very much and to be honest, aside from using the little pin hole button to set the battery chemistry type your charging, I don't there is any other way to interface with it? This is the Renogy DC-DC charger with Solar MPPT charge controller unit but because the DC-DC charge function works so insanely well charging from just my 200hp outboard engine, I haven't even bothered to connect my two 80W CIGS panels yet. I'm attaching the specs sheet for the 280Ah battery in case you don't already have it.
Thanks for the battery specs. Great to hear the Renogy charger works so well. Their specs say 14.1-14.7v, so should align nicely with the battery spec, even if the BMS stops the charge at 14.2. I already have 500w panels and Renogy charge controller, so won't buy the MPPT model.
One more question: How did you select charger size? Renogy support said to install no more than 40% of alternator rating. I'll likely buy the 40A model. My alternator is 160A, so I suppose I could install the 60 amp charger, but don't want to overheat the alternator.

Last edited:
I'm charging from an outboard motor so I don't have a belt driven alternator to overheat anyway but 40% is a very safe ratio to work with. I can say I've had no problems with my battery but I would still like to see what's under the hood, hopefully someone does a proper review and tare down one day but so far so good.

I'm charging from an outboard motor so I don't have a belt driven alternator to overheat anyway but 40% is a very safe ratio to work with. I can say I've had no problems with my battery but I would still like to see what's under the hood, hopefully someone does a proper review and tare down one day but so far so good.
Thanks for the info. I'll report back in the Spring after installed and tested.

This ad has run on Kijiji for some months now, selling LiFePO4 battery packs competitively. Assemblies offered are "bare bones" clamped with JBD BMS, no case etc. Over the phone, the fellow in Grande Prairie (AB) seemed very knowledgeable, offering to build and supply in about 3 weeks.

Anybody had any experience with this supplier?

I've been emailing back and forth with Alberta Lithium.
He says for charging voltage, anything between 14.2-14.6 is acceptable.
Can anyone else confirm that they're BMS's are cutting off at 14.2?

Any other reviews good or bad?
Thanx

This ad has run on Kijiji for some months now, selling LiFePO4 battery packs competitively. Assemblies offered are "bare bones" clamped with JBD BMS, no case etc. Over the phone, the fellow in Grande Prairie (AB) seemed very knowledgeable, offering to build and supply in about 3 weeks.

Anybody had any experience with this supplier?
I just emailed him, sounds like a pretty good deal. He told me that he uses Rept cells.....I'm no expert.....but I've not heard that brand

Back