diy solar

diy solar

AliExpress DIY 16S Chassis

humble226

Does anyone have any experience with any of the pre-built rackmount chassis "kits", for building 16S LiFePO4 rackmount systems with separately supplied cells?

For example, here's an attractive looking one on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804748208695.html

It looks like a pretty comprehensive solution for a clean mounting/cabling/BMS setup, and seems like it would still save you a tremendous amount of money compared to the off-the-shelf rackmount systems. My back of the envelope calculation is something like $2300 for 16x 280Ah/304Ah batteries + $500 for the complete chassis and BMS, vs $4500 for and equivalent 3x 5kW chassis from someone like EG4.

You still need to add in $200 in shipping, $2700 + shipping for the 304Ah cells, live without a breaker/fuse, custom BMS, no heaters, and risking a DIY build. If you're comfortable with all that then it's a pretty good deal. The closest comparison would be the Trophy 48v304E battery for $4700 so saving about $1300 which isn't exactly chump change.

You still need to add in $200 in shipping, $2700 + shipping for the 304Ah cells, live without a breaker/fuse, custom BMS, no heaters, and risking a DIY build. If you're comfortable with all that then it's a pretty good deal. The closest comparison would be the Trophy 48v304E battery for $4700 so saving about $1300 which isn't exactly chump change.

Of course, but the shipping charges are pretty high even when the products are already in the US, so I was trying to exclude shipping costs for the moment.

On further inspection there appears to be several sources of similar boxes on Alibaba:

Purely based on the marketing video, the EEL seems like the best solution (fused, appears to be well designed, etc):

But of course it's unclear if their stock BMS is any good.

Of course, but the shipping charges are pretty high even when the products are already in the US, so I was trying to exclude shipping costs for the moment.

On further inspection there appears to be several sources of similar boxes on Alibaba:

Purely based on the marketing video, the EEL seems like the best solution (fused, appears to be well designed, etc):

I bought 4 of the Semplos Mason 280 kits and I am happy with them so far (only 1 cycle on them but working correctly).
They took a long time to arrive (~4-5 months)

Total cost to build a battery including the cables (~$65 from Semplos, but appear worth it) was about $2700 for 14.3kWh or $188 per kWh with a really nice form factor.

some people are having a hard time getting products from them I think they say its in the USA but is actually coming form China, make sure you square that away before ordering.

The Mason is fused. It's in the packing list in the listing. It's also shown in a couple of review videos on YT. The Mason (at least some models) does not have an on/off switch though. Earlier models did not have BT interface. It's worth watching the build videos and wrap-up with comments about pros and cons. Seems like the EEL is better, but still looking for a good review video on it.

I bought the EEL with 200A BMS. I used some CATL 271AH cells I got a year or two ago. It's been connected to a Skybox for about a month now and seems to be working well. The cells were very slightly swollen, so I used the epoxy board separators without the EVA foam pads. Still working on the disagreement in SOC between Skybox and EEL. Maybe related to high and low cutout settings. The Skybox does not talk to the EEL because Outback will not release the protocol, so I'll likely be looking for a different hybrid inverter for the next build. Thinking of using another EEL with the 304AH grade B cells from 18650batterystore. As long as the cells aren't significantly bulging, the specs say they will easily fit.

I bought the EEL with 200A BMS. I used some CATL 271AH cells I got a year or two ago. It's been connected to a Skybox for about a month now and seems to be working well. The cells were very slightly swollen, so I used the epoxy board separators without the EVA foam pads. Still working on the disagreement in SOC between Skybox and EEL. Maybe related to high and low cutout settings. The Skybox does not talk to the EEL because Outback will not release the protocol, so I'll likely be looking for a different hybrid inverter for the next build. Thinking of using another EEL with the 304AH grade B cells from 18650batterystore. As long as the cells aren't significantly bulging, the specs say they will easily fit.
How do you like the skybox outside of the battery communications?

How do you like the skybox outside of the battery communications?
It's a bit bigger than you would think, just looking at the pictures. And it's limited to five kilowatts, although they can be run in parallel. It's m quirky to configure, but once you've got it dialed in, it seems to work pretty well. I'm only taking advantage of about a third of its capability right now.

It's a bit bigger than you would think, just looking at the pictures. And it's limited to five kilowatts, although they can be run in parallel. It's m quirky to configure, but once you've got it dialed in, it seems to work pretty well. I'm only taking advantage of about a third of its capability right now.
They seem pretty awesome. Shame they got rid of them. I think running a pair of them would be just about an ideal solution

I have a skybox and three different bms. I settled on a smartshunt to tell the soc. I’ve tweaked the ah and string settings so the soc is no more than 3% off from the shunt.

One of these days I will redo my whole inverter situation and sell the skybox so it can back up the whole house instead of a critical loads panel.

I have a skybox and three different bms. I settled on a smartshunt to tell the soc. I’ve tweaked the ah and string settings so the soc is no more than 3% off from the shunt.
What are you using to compare with the SOC? I'm just using what the BMS in the EEL box says. I thought that changing the charge efficiency number in the Skybox would align the numbers better, but it doesn't seem to have much effect. I had originally set it to 96%, and then bumped it up to 98%. Going by the rest and charging voltage charts I found in a couple of places, both the Skybox and BMS seems to overestimate SoC

How do you know the true soc of both skybox and bms is overestimating. Since I have three different packs in my bank, I’m using the Victron smartshunt to give me an more accurate view because some of the bms don’t measure low currents accurately since current is shared between 4 packs. I adjust the Ah per pack, effectively derating the total capacity from skybox’s pov.

Back