diy solar

diy solar

All 48V com ports created equal?

Jankzilla

Hi all,

I’m building my first system and I have a question or two about com ports.

So my system is going to be 48V, I settled on the Goodwe GW3048-EM because it was the cheapest 2kW+ hybrid inverter I could find that was fanless (noise is an issue for me)

Officially, there are only a few batteries supported. I think Pylontech is the only validated one I can get in South Africa. However it’s validated with the older US2000B, and that has been replaced with a newer C model which I believe has a different pin out on the com port. (PS Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t RS485 the same jack as RJ45? If so, different pin outs do not bother me as long as it will work. I can crimp any RJ45 combo needed myself)

Basically my question is: if I’m getting one big rackmount battery, is there any reason why something other than a Pylontech wouldn’t be able to talk to the Goodwe? This is a very budget build, so I’m considering buying used batteries.

Further to this question, I expect things get a bit more fussy when one is talking about a bank of batteries. I imagine I can’t have a master battery controlling other batteries if I’ve mixed and matched. But even so I’m curious about how a configuration like that might work.

My impression is that one could always eschew BMS coms and just let the battery manage itself while the load/charger is connected. But ideally I would like to have good insight into what the battery is doing because I will be sailing pretty close to the wind at times, so to speak. Meaning big outages and short charge times. I understand all the stuff about DOD and life cycles etc with LFP batteries but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Any help appreciated.
JZ

Last edited:
Back