diy solar

diy solar

Inverter high voltage alarm, smoke coming from USB ports?

newsolardude

Hi all,

So I recently set up a off grid system:

x4 210watt solar panels connected in parallel series (53V, 16A)
Makeskyblue 60A 12V MPPT
Krieger 1100 Watt 12V modified sine inverter
4s 3.2V 100Ah LiFePO4 with Daly 4s 12V 100A BMS

The MPPT has a preset LiFePO4 setting which has an max charge of 14.6V and has been working fine. However, there are times when the battery is 100% charged and the inverter would continuously beep displaying a high voltage error. However, the inverter would continue to work and none of my breakers trip. I've recently been using the inverter's USB charging ports and during the high voltage error I see some smoke coming from the USB cables (or possibly the USB outlet).

I'm wondering if inverter USB ports has mechanisms in place to maintain a 12V charge? For example, if my LiFePO4 system is providing 14.6V, will that USB outlet charge my device with 14.6V or 12V? The inverter instruction manual only has the following details about the USB ports:

Two USB Ports (2.1 Amp shared): Allows the user to power one or two single 2.1A-compatible tablet devices or two 1A USB-charging devices, such as cell phones

Rates Output USB (V,A): 2 * 5V/max. 2.1A (iPad)

What could be causing the inverter smoke? Everything is still working fine, I've tossed out the USB cables but I want to make sure the problem isn't with the inverters.

Thanks

Usb C can go up to 20 volts. Normal usb voltage is 5v. Usb cables may have not been rated for the wattage of the devices.

Don't ignore over voltage warnings.

It's possible when the battery is fully charged at 14.6 volts, the BMS is shutting down the charge path and the voltage spikes. This would give Intermittent high volt alarms on the inverter. Continious alarms suggest other issues, measure the voltage with a meter.
Try reducing the charge voltage to a lower value, say 14.2 volts and reducing the absorbtion period, boost duration.

Smoke from the inverter is not good news. Smoke results from overloaded and/or faulty components /wiring. Even if the USB port were overloaded, the Internal circuits should offer protection if correctly designed.

You get what you pay for and I expect there are going to failures. Try to claim on the warranty, ( 3 years perhaps !!).

If you are getting actual smoke from your inverter for ANY reason you should probably turn it off disconnect it from everything and send it back.

On the MakeSkyBlue I would not use the LFP setting, use custom settings. My experience is they do overshoot the voltage briefly and it has tripped my inverter. I don't charge over 28V.

Can't help on the inverter smoke. As already said it should handle upset conditions without dying.

high cell shutting down your battery.. lower your charge voltage.
what battery? do you have Bluetooth acces to it?

Back