diy solar

diy solar

Allpowers s300 light options

devondumpling

I have just purchased an Allpowers S300 portable power station and plan to add a solar panel to it very soon.

I am new to having something like this and am hoping someone can help me with my question. I am based in the UK. The reason I bought the S300 is to be able to run a couple of LED lights for the stables where I keep my horse (no mains electricity there).

I am confused as to what my options are and could do with some "idiots guide" answers. I know I can used the AC plug as if it's a light plugged in at home, but wondering if there are other options that would use less energy and make it last longer between charges, while also being able to power two or three bright bulbs. There are USB and DC outlet options on it.

Due to the nature of what I need it for I need to have the brightest bulbs that it can manage (checking and feeding horses in the dark!).

Any answers or tips very gratefully received! Thank you.

A link to the unit would help.

Generally speaking a big negative of all "solar generators" is their own power consumption. Turn it on and don't power any loads... It will be dead in as little as a few days.

In cases where you can turn OFF the inverter but turn on the DC system, the self-consumption will be lower. If the unit has DC outlets, you may experience noteworthy benefit and longer run times by using DC lights.

That unit has a 288Wh battery and 300 watt inverter. So you can run a 100 watt load for about 3 hours or a 300 watt load for abut an hour.

Did you get it with the 100 watt solar panel?

You can get 30 watt led lights that are pretty bright and run one of those for about 8.5 hours off the inverter.

It is this unit

I think it can be turned off when not in use. It would literally just be turned in to run lights, then turned off again!

Pretty small unit. I suggest you get some 4W 12VDC LED bulbs typically used in RV applications. Use as few as possible and hope for the best.

Thank you. I can't imagine that a bulb would be turned in for more than an hour at a time really, once a day so that is promising. I didn't buy it with the solar panel but do plan to get one,in the meantime I will take it home to charge it up. If using it with a 12v dc bulb what "plug" do these typically come with or do they vary?

Thank you. I can't imagine that a bulb would be turned in for more than an hour at a time really, once a day so that is promising. I didn't buy it with the solar panel but do plan to get one,in the meantime I will take it home to charge it up. If using it with a 12v dc bulb what "plug" do these typically come with or do they vary?
You can get them with a USB plug up to 10 watts or as a bulb that can be inserted in a regular lamp holder.

With limited use, I would be less concerned.... but you must remember to turn off the unit when not in use. Grab a convenient low wattage lamp you already have and see how it goes.

Back