diy solar

diy solar

altE Not selling solar panels??

medic149

Cabin In The Woods
Has anyone been able to purchase solar panels from altE lately??
I just went to put my order in for my system and they are saying they will only sell to those that are purchasing an entire system from them!

Expect more of the same from others as well. Solar Panels as a commodity are being held back for current projects etc as importation is being held up thanks to an SEC Investigation affecting the entire US Solar Sector. Several Large Projects have been canceled, even SILLFAB (Panel Maker) put a HALT to proceeding with a large factory as a result. Prices are climbing already as a result as well. Self-Injury of a whole sector because of ONE jerk making BS claims.

I just went to put my order in for my system and they are saying they will only sell to those that are purchasing an entire system from them!
Retail blackmail. Isn't that sweet! altE and anyone else following their lead just fell off my "buy from" list.

UPDATE EDIT:
Seems I jumped on the wrong investigation. As seen on the alt-E site itself, this has to do with a Department Of Justice investigation about anti-dumping and other trade laws.

It has nothing to do with my earlier research into an SEC investigation involving another company revolving around panels, connectors, fires, and so forth.

Last edited:
It still seems like one player that cannot make ends meet taking out the competition with a legal maneuver.
I mean why would any business in sell at a loss when there are literally a dozen manufacturers that all compete. And the product has the potential to slow the fire and flames we've lit under our homes..... So pathetic and sad

Washington Post had a piece on this today. Really has screwed up solar now for the whole country. 1/2 of all big projects are on hold.

Washington Post had a piece on this today. Really has screwed up solar now for the whole country. 1/2 of all big projects are on hold.
Thank our greedy, rich, corrupt politicians and CEO's for 40 years of outsourcing and stagnant wages. All of my HVAC materials from Mexico and China have increased 32% in the last 16 mo. They don't want to give up their $20M bizjet used for family vacations or lower their own salaries, so up goes the prices.

Last edited:
I really wanted to make the purchase through altE. Especially since I could save on shipping and drive 3 hours to pick up the order. altE just lost all of my business. I purchased my panels through Signature Solar.

Maybe they will start manufacturing them here then.

alte is a good store, I have tried others and keep going back to them. I ordered 16 panels the last time and through in 2 microinverters I needed and the order went through.

There definitely is a solar panel shortage because of this. Apparently (i'm not 100% sure of this) bifacial panels are exempt from the embargo. I talked to several installers and they have had projects cancelled and put on hold because of this.

I'm not giving up on them as I have spent about 20k already before this panel debacle started over the past two years. Good folks-they are not to blame.

I'm not giving up on them as I have spent about 20k already before this panel debacle started over the past two years. Good folks-they are not to blame.
Yeah, my experiences with them has also been great. They are super knowledgeable and helpful. Definitely some seasoned people there, unlike a lot of other johnny-come-latelies ...

Yeah, my experiences with them has also been great. They are super knowledgeable and helpful. Definitely some seasoned people there, unlike a lot of other johnny-come-latelies ...
Damn good points.
The folks working on the front line are going to take a lot of heat which they may not deserve thanks to greed & geopolitical BS.

Back