diy solar

diy solar

Alternator to MPPT PV INPUT???

ready2rvdude

I have a 170A alternator, that I want to feed amps into my 100A MPPT solar charge controller to recharge my lipoe4 250A bank.

By wiring with 1ga ofc wire, will I get a good amp to voltage conversion at the PV INPUT?

IS THIS SAFE?

I tested it ( I'm really a newbie ) & it worked really well { set charge V to 15.4v cutoff~resting V result of 14.8V @ van off } but being clumsy I shorted my cheap controller, when I was organizing wiring.

I now want to get a "better" MPPT CONTROLLER BUT AM WORRIED ABOUT ALTERNATOR HEAT & WIRES BEING FRIED.

ANYONE WITH EXPERT EXPERIENCE @ THIS TYPE CONNECTION?????

Trying to POOR MAN SURVIVE~ FT IN A DIY CAMPERVAN

IS THIS SAFE?
No, you cannot connect a 12v alternator to a MPPT controller and expect a useful result.

Use a DC to DC battery to battery charger.

A 170 amp alternator will deliver around 110 amps at engine idle speed . The vehicle will need power so you are left with about 70 useful amps for house battery charging. The only safe way to charge via the alternator is to use a battery to battery , DC to DC , charger.

Last edited:
@mikefitz....

Please elaborate.... "amp is to volts" as current is to amps right?

So in a PV input.... PV using a higher VOLTAGE RATING OF SAY 165V " current " from sunlight conversion into panels IS IN EFFECT "AMPERAGE" RIGHT????

What am I missing???

There are a number of issues , a MPPT controler, to begin operating, needs to see a voltage 4 to 5 volts higher on the PV inputs than the battery its connected to. With a house battery with a nominal voltage of 13.2 and an alternator voltage of 13.5 to14.4, the MPPT will do nothing. Even if a 100 amp MPPT controller decided to function, the alternator would most likely fail.
Consider for a moment why there are so many manufactures producing DC to DC battery to battery chargers? If there were alternatives that worked as well or better, they would be out of business .

Your posts listed a range of high power consumers, whereas you expect the power to come from? Perhaps consider a generator.

Mike

That's what I'm saying Mike. The 100a solar controller was able to supply 15.3v as charge voltage. I jumper connected negative of PV & BATTERY forcing PV to SEE battery voltage while discharging, thereby forcing alternator to increase current output... ( does that make sense ) ???

IT WORKED, but when organizing cables ( disconnecting to re-path ), I shorted somewhere.

Back