diy solar

diy solar

Am i buying a decent hybrid and is it legitimate advice needed,

I read this on Google is it accurate as this is exactly what my hybrid inverter is doing,

Does solar inverter make noise?​

08APR
Solar inverters are an important component of a solar power system, as they convert the direct current (DC) generated by solar panels into alternating current (AC) that can be used in order to power homes and businesses. However, some people may be concerned about whether solar inverters make noise and where the solar inverters noise come from? (even the solar inverter noise at night). Throughout this article, we are going to give you all the information regarding solar inverters noise.

Why do solar inverters make noise?

In general, solar inverters are designed to operate silently, especially those that are used in residential and commercial applications. These inverters are typically equipped with noise-reducing technology to minimize any potential sound emissions. As a result, most modern solar inverters produce little to no noise during normal operation.
That being said, some older or cheaper inverters may produce a low humming or buzzing sound when they are in use. End of Google report.

Mine is constantly making a low buzzing sound that slightly changes sound every second, but only can be heard when you out your ear right up to the inverter.

But it does it with just the solar panels connected to it, ie no live going out to house or battery,

Last edited:
The aluminum FRAMES of the solar panels need to be bonded (electrically connected) to the grounding system. If the supports the PV panels are sitting on are metal, then this metal framing also needs to be bonded (connected) to the grounding system.
I'm not familiar with the term electrically connected ?

do not add a rod at the shed.
connect to the grounding wire that goes to the house.
Thanks again, can I just run one earth wire to the house for both solar panel and inverter, ie put an earth splitter in my shed and run a split ie one to the panels and one to my inverter and then run one wire back to the house, or should i do it one wire back to the house from the panels and one wire back to the house from the inverter ?

As you see in the picture I'm half way through changing the direction.

Picture two is how my roof was 3 days ago with panels on, picture one is how is how my roof is now.

I was wondering how high the new roof is and how close it is to the boundary with your neighbour?

FYI.. under Permitted Development in the UK, outbuildings must not higher than 2.5 metres in total if being constructed within 2 metres of a boundary.

I was wondering how high the new roof is and how close it is to the boundary with your neighbour?

FYI.. under Permitted Development in the UK, outbuildings must not higher than 2.5 metres in total if being constructed within 2 metres of a boundary.
My neighbours own there house as do i, chuckles,

So what I did last year for them was chop down there trees with a Wapping great big chain saw, and they said hey build a shed as big as you want out of all that wood, so my dad came along picked all the wood up and put it all through his saw mill, my neighbours trees who share my boundary is now my shed.
There actually very happy as the trees between are boundaries where 70 footers and there was 8 of them, they couldn't see anything or have any sunshine, or get signals for TV or satellite or mobile phone, they got quotes for 10000 to cut them all down, so I did it for nothing, well guess what I cut them down because I've cut thousands down with my dad, and being the good neighbour that I am, I even built them a shed too 😎

. Anyhow I planted a total of 200,000 trees last year, weeping willows are my favourite.

can I just run one earth wire to the house for both solar panel and inverter,
yes, size the cable for the shed from the house appropriately for the loads.
No-doubt there will be a minimum size for the ground conductor - since you are working with a local electrician, just confirm with them the sizing/spec before you spend money on the cable and get it buried.

No-doubt there will be a minimum size for the ground conductor - since you are working with a local electrician, just confirm with them the sizing/spec before you spend money on the cable and get it buried.
This is where I'm reluctant to buy 10mm earth cable,
That was the required spec for earth cable to my gas meter and water pipe, before the EV charging company would fit an EV charger,

But they never said anything about the rest of my earth cables in the house, alot of my earth cables is 2.5 mm on the 13 amp fuse sockets, apart from the 32 amp rated sockets

And if you don't know 2.5mm earth cable can handle a load up to 4.6kwh with a range upto 5 kWh before it melts that is without the appropriate fuse circuit breaker,

As the most the inverter can output at anyone time is 4.5 kwh if it goes over 4.5 kwh the inverter automatically cuts off ✌️

The specified cable to use for 4.5 kWh is 2.5 mm, as 4.5 kWh is with in load.

Plus my inverter will never output more than that, at most it will output is 3.6 kWh hours at most, because my maximum load now coming in from the solar panels is 3600 watts

If I start outputting at 4.5.kwh my battery would drain within an hour as it's just a 24v lead acid battery bank. It would require to use 1.2kwh of battery energy if I wanted to output at 4.4 kWh, which I would also need maximum sun at solar noon, and my solar panels which is a 3400 watt array would have to pull in at Full, which it has and as hit 3600 watts on a load, btw 😎, so I'm making sure my output never goes above 3.6kwh on my inverter

My question is why would I need anymore than 2.5 mm earth wire when I'm just running of my inverter.

Plus I have a monitor on my inverter and as soon as the batteries run to low like drop to 22 volts, the inverter also switches of to protect the batteries, hence the reason I don't want to output more than 3.6kwh at anyone time from the inverter, I can also set boundaries on the inverter

I also have 20 amp fuse on my output live wire from the inverter, if for some reason my 2.5 millimeter twin earth wire should heat up above 4500 watts 😎

Last edited:
So today of my solar panel array I've hovered my car @ 0.5 kWh for 15 mins, boiled 3 full kettles of water @ 2. kwh for 20 mins , which is now in a container for the rest of the day.

Charge my EV up for 2 hours @ 1.26 kWh gaining 10 miles 😎

Watched TV all day @0.1 kWh

Had the fridge freezer all day @ 0.1kwh

Done 2 washing machine loads 3 hours at 0.2 kWh.

Steam cooked a meal 0.8 kWh for 15 mins

Hoovered my car for 15 mins @ 0.5 kwh

And used power tool for half an hour at most 0.4 kWh

My battery is still fully charged for the rest of the night which will keep my TV going to 12 midnight and my fridge until tomorrow, and my gas boiler

All in all everything is running good with no glitches 😎

This is generally all I need all day every day

Last edited:
This is where I'm reluctant to buy 10mm earth cable,
That was the required spec for earth cable to my gas meter and water pipe, before the EV charging company would fit an EV charger,

But they never said anything about the rest of my earth cables in the house, alot of my earth cables is 2.5 mm on the 13 amp fuse sockets, apart from the 32 amp rated sockets

And if you don't know 2.5mm earth cable can handle a load up to 4.6kwh with a range upto 5 kWh before it melts that is without the appropriate fuse circuit breaker,

As the most the inverter can output at anyone time is 4.5 kwh if it goes over 4.5 kwh the inverter automatically cuts off ✌️

The specified cable to use for 4.5 kWh is 2.5 mm, as 4.5 kWh is with in load.

Plus my inverter will never output more than that, at most it will output is 3.6 kWh hours at most, because my maximum load now coming in from the solar panels is 3600 watts

If I start outputting at 4.5.kwh my battery would drain within an hour as it's just a 24v lead acid battery bank. It would require to use 1.2kwh of battery energy if I wanted to output at 4.4 kWh, which I would also need maximum sun at solar noon, and my solar panels which is a 3400 watt array would have to pull in at Full, which it has and as hit 3600 watts on a load, btw 😎, so I'm making sure my output never goes above 3.6kwh on my inverter

My question is why would I need anymore than 2.5 mm earth wire when I'm just running of my inverter.

Plus I have a monitor on my inverter and as soon as the batteries run to low like drop to 22 volts, the inverter also switches of to protect the batteries, hence the reason I don't want to output more than 3.6kwh at anyone time from the inverter, I can also set boundaries on the inverter

I also have 20 amp fuse on my output live wire from the inverter, if for some reason my 2.5 millimeter twin earth wire should heat up above 4500 watts 😎
Edited above post should make more sense now

Last edited:
I'm not really in touch with an electrician,

Maybe @SeaGal @kommando will like this one.

So I've put a change over switch in and even built a wooden box for the switch, 😀 total spend 25.00, saving 50.00 for the switch and over a 75.00 for fitting, total saving 100.00 ✌️✌️😂

Attachments

• IMG_20240703_190012795.jpg
    IMG_20240703_190012795.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240703_190109613.jpg
    IMG_20240703_190109613.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 8
Maybe @SeaGal @kommando will like this one.

Why on earth would I 'like' this one? :unsure: I get the impression you are simply a troll trying to get attention for exposing the shocking things you are attempting.

The change over switch with exposed live terminals is an accident waiting to happen.

I have already warned you about doing electrical for which you are not qualified or experienced for and specifically gave you a link in my post #13 to the technical a legislative requirement for electrical work in the UK.

What you are posting here, and seemingly "boasting" about your money savings, is not legal.

The work you are doing comes under Building Regulations Part P. And the materials used for that would not IMHO pass IET Wiring Regulations.

See also:-

Why on earth would I 'like' this one? :unsure: I get the impression you are simply a troll trying to get attention for exposing the shocking things you are attempting.

The change over switch with exposed live terminals is an accident waiting to happen.

I have already warned you about doing electrical for which you are not qualified or experienced for and specifically gave you a link in my post #13 to the technical a legislative requirement for electrical work in the UK.

What you are posting here, and seemingly "boasting" about your money savings, is not legal.

The work you are doing comes under Building Regulations Part P. And the materials used for that would not IMHO pass IET Wiring Regulations.

See also:-
Wow online abuse in a do it yourself forum, I will be blocking you and reporting your offensive post, also I don't simply fall into your simple box of characterization of peoples personality, goodbye

The Job is now finished, I've just had an electrician come to my house who tested al my work for 40 UK pounds and approved it ☺️.

Attachments

• 17200821471006490715739521494443.jpg
    17200821471006490715739521494443.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 8
I don't know how that mess was ever allowed, plus now you added a wooden box to the mix. And that was no electrician that charged you 40 quid.
This setup belongs in the up in smoke section
Yes this is a diy forum but we also try to be a safe forum, there is a lot of power we are dealing with here and just doing enough to light the bulb is not good enough.

Anyone know what size circuit breaker I need for my solar panel array, and if you could include a link for Amazon thanks ☺️

I have 8 X 415 watt solar panels connected in series, ive include a picture of the solar panel specs ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_20240620_145318556.jpg
    IMG_20240620_145318556.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 3

I don't know how that mess was ever allowed, plus now you added a wooden box to the mix. And that was no electrician that charged you 40 quid.
This setup belongs in the up in smoke section
Yes this is a diy forum but we also try to be a safe forum, there is a lot of power we are dealing with here and just doing enough to light the bulb is not good enough.
What difference does a wooden box make to your standard,

An electrician charged me 40.00 to come out and inspect the wiring.

And how can you say the wiring is not safe and will go up in smoke unless you've tested it.

If my electrician would have found any fault he would have said so.

The only fault you can see is a wooden box, but why would that be an issue,

What is wrong with a wooden box, when a qualified electrician said it was ok.

Theres a few ways you can do it either a plastic box a metal box or a wooden box, so you tell me why a plastic box is safer than a wooden box.

If you have got any more criticism I will just ignore you too.

Attachments

• 17201007448061704231782844971711.jpg
    17201007448061704231782844971711.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 6
I am not personally attacking you, just concerned for your safety and others who may be lead to believe that what you have there is safe and to safety codes.
Let's look at your last picture -
1. Power feed seems to come from the house next door without the direct ground wire, that was an after thought. Is this even a legal supply method ? Wires are very small, what is the fuse rating, why does it look like there was a meter there sometime ago ?
2. Exposed wire above ???
3. Gas or water lines below ? Neither should be there.
4. After the meter you have a 100A breaker, should be ELCB or newer safer RCD. Too big for the incoming supply wires.
5. Wooden box with transfer breaker, CE certified ? And seriously, if you don't know why a wood box is not safe.....nah you are being funny.

Historically, the UK started with wooden boxes for fuse holders and wire runs, then went to metal fuse and later breaker boxes, then plastic and circuit breakers but now going back to metal boxes. I wonder why ???

Just noticed this thred and thought I would chime in some, OP is working on their own install thats totally fine in the Uk and doesn't go against any regs or part-p as far as I'm aware but for insurance purposes you need a qualified electrician with inspection and testing licence(not sure if this is the right word but the person needs some form of certification with one of the regulatory boards is niceic, part-p or a handful of others) the chances you got a legitimate certificate for £40 is pretty much impossible sorry to say Heather.

Wondering why doesn't answer what's wrong with a wooden boxes,

Yours concerns about grounding and mains rated fuse and thin mains wire going to the mains is all within spec to British standards.

firstly my house is a semi detached,

Secondly my house is on a looped supply.

This is how all the houses are wired up in my street to the grid specifications.

The main feed comes in next door before it comes to my house.

The earth is connected on the other side of the wall next door too and is bonded to the grid neutral feed, which comes into my next door neighbours house first and is split there and then comes into my house.

The two main grid wires coming in to my mains fuse is all so connected to the the grid mains next door in there cupboard.

Next door is on a 100 amp mains rated fuse as am i

This is how northwest grid supplies wired these houses up 40 years ago.

There wiring and there specs are required by law to be right, and if they where not, they would have come out and changed it by now.

It is an old system but they have never felt any need to change it,

Infact in 15 years living there and 3 visits from northwest dno grid supply they have never changed a thing, neither have have they ever found fault when all the boxes where plastic, or any of the wiring.

Just noticed this thred and thought I would chime in some, OP is working on their own install thats totally fine in the Uk and doesn't go against any regs or part-p as far as I'm aware but for insurance purposes you need a qualified electrician with inspection and testing licence(not sure if this is the right word but the person needs some form of certification with one of the regulatory boards is niceic, part-p or a handful of others) the chances you got a legitimate certificate for £40 is pretty much impossible sorry to say Heather.
Didn't get a certificate i payed 40.00 for an inspection.

Wondering why doesn't answer what's wrong with a wooden boxes,

Yours concerns about grounding and mains rated fuse and thin mains wire going to the mains is all within spec to British standards.

firstly my house is a semi detached,

Secondly my house is on a looped supply.

This is how all the houses are wired up in my street to the grid specifications.

The main feed comes in next door before it comes to my house.

The earth is connected on the other side of the wall next door too and is bonded to the grid neutral feed, which comes into my next door neighbours house first and is split there and then comes into my house.

The two main grid wires coming in to my mains fuse is all so connected to the the grid mains next door in there cupboard.

Next door is on a 100 amp mains rated fuse as am i

This is how northwest grid supplies wired these houses up 40 years ago.

There wiring and there specs are required by law to be right, and if they where not, they would have come out and changed it by now.

It is an old system but they have never felt any need to change it,

Infact in 15 years living there and 3 visits from northwest dno grid supply they have never changed a thing, neither have have they ever found fault when all the boxes where plastic, or any of the wiring.
its a real gray area with UK regs anything existing can be out of regs anything newly fitted must be within regs I'm unsure how this applys to home owners but wood is a fire risk and as a home owner you should treat regs as the bare minimum(crap job) and aim to do better.

diy solar

diy solar
Back