diy solar

diy solar

An actual 600A 48V+ disconnect switch

rhino

Solar Wizard
This has come up numerous times where almost all of the DC rated switches you see for sale aren't actually rated for over 48V DC. I believe I actually found one that comes in 400A, 500A, and 600A versions! https://evolveelectrics.com/collections/contactors/products/rincon-power-hvbd-600a-disconnect

From spec sheet it sounds like you can actually use it to disconnect under load even at full rating as long as you are below 100V DC which we always would be for a 48V nominal system.

This has come up numerous times where almost all of the DC rated switches you see for sale aren't actually rated for over 48V DC. I believe I actually found one that comes in 400A, 500A, and 600A versions! https://evolveelectrics.com/collections/contactors/products/rincon-power-hvbd-600a-disconnect

From spec sheet it sounds like you can actually use it to disconnect under load even at full rating as long as you are below 100V DC which we always would be for a 48V nominal system.
Per a small hit of research, it is listed at not 100v, but 1000v, making it that much more useful.

$167 for an EV battery disconnect is an awesome price.
The cost is usually why they are never recommended.
I'm going to order a couple and see how well they are built.

I am using the follwing switch, which was recommended under the posting:
DIY Solar Forum - Inverter disconnect

Switch: Marinco Part # 772 DBC

BEP Pro Installer 400A Dual Bank Control Switch - MC10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.satpro.tv/bepproinstaller400adualbankcontrolswitch-mc10.aspx
Item Number: 58595
Manufacturer: BEP Marine
Manufacturer Part No: 772-DBC
Voltage: 48v DC (for 12-48v systems, both banks must be same voltage)
Rating: 400 Cont / 600 Inter / 1500 Crank
Dims: 3.85" x 3.85" x 3.62"
Operation: 1, 1/2, Parallel, Off
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price: $63.76

SatPro.tv
13097 SW 133 CT
Miami, FL 33186
sales@satpro.tv | 305-259-4255 |

I might actually try that newer version DIHOOL breaker since I'm currently having to limit my charging output because I'm currently limited to 200A and was looking for something that could support around the 500A range. I was going to go with that switch I originally posted but then would have still needed to add a fuse.

Good find.

Or, for $12.50 you could rig one of these contactors from battery hookup. Better yet, rig two of them, one for positive and the other for negative. You’d need to run a reliable 12-volt supply for the coil, with a switch rated for about 5 amps max. But it’s rated for make-break for up to 650 amps at 900 volts.

I was looking for an appropriate fuse with that switch and/or relay would be about $160 for a 600A T-fuse but then it looks like the fuse holder for that isn't in stock and is more then the fuse itself :(

That one would only be good for 320A max.. but they do have newer versions of those breakers that seem higher quality and have higher amperage: https://www.amazon.com/DIHOOL-Disconnect-Overload-Isolation-Protection/dp/B0CJB91FG6/ref=sr_1_1
It says 400A? Why is only good for 320A? 80% loading rule?
I have a set of 200A on order of the older one but straight from Dihool (so it will take a month to get here) - it was cheaper and actually has a little higher rating than the ones shipped by Amazon. Not as high as those black ones though.

What size cable will those Dihool breakers accept? The “older” Dihool 400A breakers show 2/0 as the largest size, but I don’t see anything for the newer ones in the 600A configuration.

You're supposed to use lugs, so as long as you use the right lug I don't see why you couldn't use 4/0.

I just remark the 600A capacity is rated with 250mm2 busbars at terminals :oops:
To give an idea, AWG 4/0 = 107mm2
I will consider it as a nice 300-400A switch (up to 2000A 10 sec.) and forget about 600A continuous.

I ordered the DIHOOL DC breaker today, maybe we'll compare! Lol

I got the 300a single wide breaker. Supposedly rated for 10,000 AIC.
This is not a breaker. It doesn't provide OCP or short protection. It is only a disconnect for isolation.
Basically, a giant on/off switch.
But the 600a rating is what I needed.

Back