diy solar

diy solar

Anderson connecter vs battery disconnect switch

MT off grid

I have been trying to find a good quality battery disconnect switch that can handle 60+ volts DC but the ones I am finding look very questionable in quality, I have several bluesea disconnects llaying but unfortunately unknown to me that they are only good to 48 volts,Iif I can't find a good quality disconnect soon I am thinking about going with the 300 amp Anderson connector as my disconnect, does anyone see an issue with going this route or atleast have a source for good quality high volt disconnect switches?

I was thinking the same thing but it would mostly just be used as an emergency disconnect, shouldn't be much of a spark as a disconnect

shouldn't be much of a spark as a disconnect
If under load it could be a good one. Also when connecting there might be a spark from the surge of the capacitors charging.
I agree with @time2roll , that it might just be easier to lift the cable from the stud if this is not a regular need to disconnect.

Under a load yes but in an emergency I'm sure I wouldn't mind a spark, would also he nice to have a quick way to work on things and have a way to kill the power

Under a load yes but in an emergency I'm sure I wouldn't mind a spark, would also he nice to have a quick way to work on things and have a way to kill the power
It is clearly a user preference. I have used switches, Anderson connectors and unfastened the lug depending on a particular use case.

Rated to 125VDC but 300A sounds like expensive

Rated to 125VDC but 300A sounds like expensive

A fuse will open if there is an emergency. Otherwise turn stuff off normal and then lift the cable.

Does the battery have a BMS with an app to cut power? OK to use that too.

BMS's have a reset/on off switch but wanting something easier amd faster then waiting for all 3 BMS'S to shut down

Back