diy solar

diy solar

Any counties have a simple permitting process for off-grid?

solar_trees

My county has a one size fits all permitting process you have to use whether or not you have a large roof-top grid-tie system or small off-grid ground mount. I was wondering if anyone lives in a county (or other AHJ), that has a simple, straight-forward permitting process for off-grid. I'm trying to advocate for a better process in my county and having some examples from other places would help. Also, I'm not stirctly interested in just the permitting process, if counties have rules like 'no permit for systems under 80 volts' or 'no permits for ground mounts' that would be good to know too.

Go to around Page 25 here

Forms like this are the current "Simple" process in California. Some AHJ require minimal drawings beyond this.

Since this isn't that simple, and some AHJ don't even adopt this, AHJ are supposed to soon adopt an automated system to handle Simple process. I think it's SolarApp+?

It is SolarAPP+, and many jurisdictions around the Bay Area have now adopted it.

San Jose already had a simple one. On-line permit, and no one looks at your drawings until final inspection. For rooftop only.
But one guy had his application rejected because San Jose said, "We don't see any re-roofing permits in the past 40 years." Well, their own rules say you can replace up to 25% of roof each year. Maybe that one can be won, but otherwise They Want Your Money.

Back