diy solar

diy solar

SolarApp+

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else

SolarApp+

From https://solarapp.nrel.gov/:

Safe and affordable home solar through permitting automation​

In 2021, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory launched a collaborative effort with key code officials, authorities having jurisdiction, and the solar industry to develop standardized plan review software that can run compliance checks and process building permit approvals for eligible rooftop solar systems.

• Integrates with existing government software
  • Automates plan review, permit approval, and project tracking
  • Standardizes up to 90% of standard system plans
  • Provides inspection checklist and final sign-off after installation

Anyone used it or know if it works?

Nothing in my area, either.
Oh well, I signed up for the newsletter.

If your utilities are solar-friendly perhaps telling them about it can help the county adopt it.

I just installed grid-tied solar on my house in Tucson, Arizona (got PTO last week, yippee!). Anyway, as I was figuring out the different steps in the process, I learned that SolarApp+ has been adopted locally. I stopped pursuing it when I realized it was only relevant to professional installers, not self-installers like me. If it's of some use, here's the link the my county's website showing some information.

... I stopped pursuing it when I realized it was only relevant to professional installers, not self-installers like me. ...
What's the difference between a DIYer and a "professional installer" from the apps point of view?

Sorry slow to reply, was working long days on the house in advance of roofers showing up yesterday. Made it, if barely.

To your question, I don't know the answer, but the utility distinguishes self-installers from those with a contractor's license. I imagine the app could be set to work similarly, trusting experienced installers with more rope than self-installers.

What's the difference between a DIYer and a "professional installer" from the apps point of view?
To your question, I don't know the answer, but the utility distinguishes self-installers from those with a contractor's license. I imagine the app could be set to work similarly, trusting experienced installers with more rope than self-installers.

A year on, more locations use it:

The utility wouldn't be the one making the distinction here. SolarAPP+ has to be adopted by the city (or county) permit office. Then, after system has been entered and checked for correctness by SolarAPP+ everything is electronically submitted to the permit office, which charges and issues the permit. SolarAPP+ charged $25, which includes initial plus 2 revisions. Additional $25 after that. The training says permit office may charge for permit revisions.

SolarAPP+ requires verification of your contractor's license, so that is "professional installer".

I saw that Redwood City, where I have planned a system for my sister's house, had already adopted. Oakland (my "new" house) was running a pilot program for only their 6 largest installers. Couple of weeks ago Oakland just opened it to all so I am proceeding.

It is menu driven, enter type of tie-in, breaker panel busbar and main breaker rating, compliance method such as 120% rule etc., inverter and PV panel models, mounting structure, location of standoffs, etc. Upload all data sheets.

It allows exactly one model PV panel and two models of string inverter.

Conductor derating allows up to 9 (!?) current carrying conductors for PV DC, 3 for AC output of inverter on one conduit. It declares that Neutral counts as a current carrying conductor (!). I was going to put a breaker panel in my garage for loads, 2x GT PV inverters, later 2x battery inverters. Conduit run to back of house where I was going to put the inverters inside crawl space. I was going to use one conduit run, looks like I will have to run separate conduit to each inverter because they didn't implement wire count and derating for that section.

It allows relocation of circuits to new panel that gets the inverters only if conduit under 2' (therefore not derating.)

I considered Romex for that run, but "NM" is only allowed for something like in attic between microinverters. SolarAPP+ wouldn't allow NM for string inverters. Maybe trying to fit "greatest common denominator", something acceptable to all jurisdictions.

Oh, supports PV + battery (looks like a bunch more code requirements for battery). But only first system installed, no additions including no battery addition to existing PV system.

My NEM 2.0 reservation is PV only. PG&E will allow battery to be added, but only after the fact. I tried to apply for battery system on-line, but it said because existing PV system in progress, have to pick up the d*mn phone and call. I want to get their approval with Sunny Boy Storage + LG RESU-10H while its CEC listing is current.

Any body use it yet to can tell us more?

Last edited:
Going through the process.
Attached .pdf are the checklist and detailed list [edit: too big, not attached], leading page(s) with PII removed.
Image below is first page, PII removed.

What I wrote above was from training, but using the app is isn't clear all those restrictions are still present.
Maybe NM like Romex could have been used for AC runs.
It did let me specify 6 wires not just 3 in conduit for AC run from inverters to PV combiner panel.

It doesn't appear to address disconnect switch explicitly in the connections, just "busbars" meaning inside breaker boxes.
"Main Lugs" was mentioned earlier, maybe not in my latest design iteration. My PV combiner panel is 200A main lug, and I'm relying on 100A fused disconnect for its OCP.

"Line Side Tap" is an option, "Load Side Tap" is not. Anything but "Line Side Tap" and it is concerned with amperage of breakers feeding a busbar. 120% rule, 100% rule, Sum of Breakers rule.

What I have done looks like Line Side Tap, PV disconnect switch tapped with Polaris off wires upstream of breaker panels having main breakers. But I also have a 200A breaker after meter, before the tap. Adding that breaker doesn't make it less safe or more overloaded. Will find out if I can still call it "Line Side Tap" in this form. The installation complies with rules for Line Side Tap (wire gauge, <= 10' from tap to OCP, etc.)

Ampacity is determined by the App based on NEC tables, EGC as well.
Mounting system (Unirac Rails in my case) are selected from the menu.
Wind speed and snow load it knows for my location (also minimum temperature for Voc), but it doesn't address the mechanical engineering.
We specify max space between rail supports.

Unirac has tables for sideways, up, down loading and allowed spans. The missing piece is calculation of uplift force, given 100 mph wind and an array of some size 10" above roof.

1713123474600.png

Attachments

• Example checklist no address.pdf
    588 KB · Views: 2
Back