diy solar

diy solar

Any experiences with this?

I don't trust any business that does not have a real physical address. Likely a cheap Chinese knock-off.

525 N Tryon Street, Floor 16, Charlotte, NC 2820

Buy a Victron if you want something you know will work.
Victron Energy ORI481224110 Orion-TR 48/12-20 DC DC Converter

As long as the load is restricted it should work as good as any.
I would limit to 80% of rating and don't feed something like a battery.

I've used this type of buck converter as low cost 12V power supply connected to a 48V battery for bench top testing purposes. Voltage regulation is good and has been reliable for low power usage. I am bit more conservative than @time2roll. I would say limit continuous current to 65-70% of rated value.

Did find one review with load test. The end of the video is sobering...

Why would you connect a 12V regulated output converter to a 12 FLA battery that he said was "topped off" (which would be more than 12V). Sounds like user error to me.

Why would you connect a 12V regulated output converter to a 12 FLA battery that he said was "topped off" (which would be more than 12V). Sounds like user error to me.
Converter output of 12.3v is about 65% SOC for the FLA, and had been running for 3 days, so should be stable around 12.3v.

Converter output of 12.3v is about 65% SOC for the FLA, and had been running for 3 days, so should be stable around 12.3v.

But he said the battery was already topped off. I see it as 3 days of OV sitting on the output of the converter.

Edit: I don't know if the converter has an output reverse voltage diode or not, but that would probably solve any issue of putting a higher voltage sitting on the output than it's regulated output.

Last edited:
I am using similar one at home to supply power to my wifi router, hub, NAS, computer at my electric room.
my battery is 51.2V (54.4V mostly),
I recommend to use the double capacity than your needs,
my nas 5~8A, wifi router 2~4A, hub 1A, computer 2~3A = 10~14A. at first, I have installed 20A version,
after 12 months, my computer has been shut-down sometime, I have tracked the cause, and found the power supply is drop power when computer is using a peak power. so, I have replaced to 40A version. and working fine over 20 months now.
the efficiency is pretty good, higher than 95% at 50% of load.

I am using similar one at home to supply power to my wifi router, hub, NAS, computer at my electric room.
my battery is 51.2V (54.4V mostly),
I recommend to use the double capacity than your needs,
my nas 5~8A, wifi router 2~4A, hub 1A, computer 2~3A = 10~14A. at first, I have installed 20A version,
after 12 months, my computer has been shut-down sometime, I have tracked the cause, and found the power supply is drop power when computer is using a peak power. so, I have replaced to 40A version. and working fine over 20 months now.
the efficiency is pretty good, higher than 95% at 50% of load.
What was the make and model of the upgraded unit? Thanks.

diy solar

diy solar
Back