diy solar

diy solar

Any on-line calculator with bell-power-curve results ?

Externet

Hello all.
When solar panels are mounted flat horizontal, zero angle tilt, as soon as the sun rises until sunset, there is direct illumination of panels. at a very poor angle, but direct exposure at any/every day of the year. Say there is 15 hours of direct exposure in summer.
When panels are mounted angled, the direct exposure starts only after an azimuth of 90 until 270 by the summer months, the exposure time depending on latitude.
(after sunrise + before sunset, there may be like 5 hours of non-exposure lost)

Curious of the bell curve of energy generation comparing one to another. Is there an on-line calculator for that ?
[ ~15 hours at poor angle versus ~10 hours at a better angle ] Calculators I found are for finding optimal angling only.

Calculators I found are for finding optimal angling only.
PV Watts and SAM both of which were developed by NREL allow entering azimuth, tilt, location and some advanced parameters and give hourly results which could be plotted. The results can be output by the hour for every day but for the purposes of rank ordering different scenarios the annual totals work for me. Is your goal to find the optimal angle? There are also advanced inputs for DC to AC ratios that can improve a less than ideal tilt angle

Back