diy solar

diy solar

Array cable length and overall plan suggestions

48Rob

Hi,

I am building an off grid system for a cabin.

It has two 220 Amp hour Time USB 12 Volt batteries Wired in parallel via bus bars, which power a 12 volt fridge, lights, cigar and USB outlets, as well as a 2000 Watt inverter. The inverter runs a small microwave for a max of 10 minutes a day, and a coffee pot for 10-15 minutes. The inverter is a back up for gas and wood cooking/heating, and when I am lazy, which isn’t often. The maximum draw on the system is 110 Amp hours. Average use on days the inverter isn’t used is 75 Amp hours.

I plan to power the system with 4 Rich Solar 200 Watt, 24 volt panels, wired 2S2P. It should produce a peak of 56 amps per hour at 12 Volts. I have two separate panel array locations I am considering; one is 75’ from the battery bank location, and the other is 140’. The shorter gets a max of 3 useable hours of sun, the longer gets 5. The 3 hour sun location has some early and late partial shading, though not in the 3 hour window. The 5 hour location has no shading. Both locations are very close to true south.

Data on panels is;
Pmax 200W
VMP 37.6 V
IMP 5.32 A
VOC 45.4 V
ISC 5.83 A
VMAX 1000V
NOCT 113+_ 35F
Temp range-40+185
Max series fuse rating 15A
Power tolerance+_ 5%

Coldest temp in my area is -25

I plan to use a Victron MPPT 150/70 in a 2S2P configuration, and a 250/60 if I choose a 4S1P configuration.

The calculators say either run (long or short) can be done with 10 AWG cable, though the long run suffers more Voltage drop. (3.37 versus 1.80)

It appears I should be able to keep the bank charged using either the 3 hour, or 5 hour panel location.

The bank size of 440 Amp hours, discharged no more than 80% (352 Amp hours) should provide backup power for 3 days using the inverter, and 4.4 days without, in no sun conditions.

I question two things in my plan, and request ideas about them, and the overall setup in general.

Question one is; the MPPT the calculators specify for a 2S2P configuration of 114 Volts-56 Amps, is a 150/60. Is that “too close” to the max of 60? (4 Amps away from max)

When I calculate 2 separate panel arrays (2S2P, 48 Volts nominal) using two MPPT controllers, the Amps show as 28, and the calculator calls for a 150/35, and not a 150/30. So based on these numbers, 4 Amps lower than max is safe, but 2 Amps below max is not?

The second question is configuring the array as 96 Volts nominal.

In the 2S2P configuration the 140’ run shows a Voltage drop of 3.37 and the 75’ run a 1.80 Volt drop.

I could wire it as 4S1P (4-24 Volt panels @ 96 volts nominal, and 45.4 VOC) which produce 227 Volts and 56 Amps. This calls for a 250/60.

The 4S1P configuration on the shorter 75’ run seems my best option, as I have only a 0.91 Voltage drop versus 1.69 at 140’ and it will be far easier to install the panels, and run the wire.

Either configuration provides 56 Amps output, but the shorter run provides 2 hours less sun per day, equating to around 132 Amp hours lost. Ouch!

These numbers are based on low angle winter sun. Summer sun and pruning a few trees may offer a half hour+ of extra exposure.

Thanks for any info you can share!

Rob

Attachments

• Solar plan 2.pdf
    193.2 KB · Views: 3
  • capture3.jpg
    capture3.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I think your best option is going to be 4S1P, at the 140' site with the better sun. The increased sun hours will make much more power then the slight increase in voltage drop will lose.

pvgirl,

Thank you.
I need to do some further calculations; I could add two more panels to the 3 hour site at less cost in effort and material than the install at the 5 hour site, though early calculations showed only an 83 Amp hour gain. Cutting down a few trees would solve the problem ;)

The voltage drop hardly matters at all. It only occurs during the best of times. If you can survive the worst of times, you don't need 100% of available power during the best times.

You list voltage, but don't specify Voc or Vmp. Voc is what kills MPPT charge controllers, while Vmp is what delivers power (and voltage drop is from Vmp.)

You need headroom beyond Voc, how much depends on temperature coefficient from PV panel data sheet (and your location's record coldest temperature). If your SCC is Midnight Classic, it can withstand excess voltage but doesn't operate until voltage drops.

Over current is generally not a problem for most SCC. Double check voltage and polarity coming from PV array before connecting SCC. Connect only one string e.g. 2s first, before connecting both 2s2p. With just one string, current is lower and if SCC has clamping diode for reverse polarity, less likely to burn it up for over-current. Once you're sure polarity is correct, most SCC won't hurt themselves.

If you lose 3% of voltage due to wire run, or if you lose 15%, it will still work fine. Most of they day and most seasons, the loss would be no more than 2% to 8%. If it is an overcast day when you need all the power, it would be in the range 0% to 2%.

If you use just the site with best illumination, consider 2s2p with 2s oriented SE (or SSE), other 2s oriented SW (or SSW). Lower current for less loss, more flat power delivery to keep battery charged later in the day and recharge earlier in the morning.

4 PV panels x 200W = 800W under ideal conditions.
800W / 12V = 67A
800W / 14V = 57A

A 60A SCC is reasonable choice, only clips with low battery and most ideal sun and weather.
If 2s and other 2s angled differently, peak power and current will be reduced.

Looks like the PV panels are 5.32A, so 200W / 5.32A = 37.6 Vmp

2s for 75V 5.32A, 140' run, 12 awg gives 3% voltage drop.

2s2p for 10.64A, 12 awg gives 6.8% voltage drop which is still acceptable.
10 awg gives 4.08%

4s for 150V 5.32A, 1.7% drop

The SCC will be a bit more efficient with 75V in rather than 150V.

An SCC that works at 150 Vmp is going to cost more than one for 75 Vmp (SCC could be as low as 100V max rated).
I would either do 4s, or 2s2p with two orientations.

Hedges,

Thank you.
I listed the panel info in my drawing, but I appreciate the reminder that it should also be in my post text. It has been added.
Great panel price in the link you provided!
Angling the panels is a good idea. I planed on an adjustable angle panel mount, but up and down, not sideways. That would sure increase the harvest. I will study further the controller sizes, prices, and efficiencies.

Rob

Back