diy solar

diy solar

Anyone build a home made server rack?

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
Server rack batteries are a very popular topic right now.

Another popular topic is cases that DIY batteries can go into. There are a number of brands discussed on this forum.

Has anyone built a home made rack that the DIY battery cases go into? Opening up the floor for a show and tell on this. I know there was a video using a metal rack shelf. Very clever. However I am wondering who has built a metal or wood frame case that can hold their DIY battery cases and if you would be willing to share your success?

Thanks in advance.

The battery cases are for 302 and 304 amp cells. Currently 8s.

The problem would be the lack of interest in building DIY's with 100ah cells, it's not economical.
Erm..
Seplos masons fit perfectly in a 19" rack, and provided your rack can hold them ( San racks can! ), you can fit up to 8 mason's in 1 rack

In the rest of the world they are just called 19" equipment racks. and they can fit all sorts of equipment, not just servers. I've built wooden racks for recording studios and just added pre-drilled rack rails to them. Every radio station, TV station, recording studio and editing room will have equipment mounted in racks. You can also get road cases on wheels with rack rails for gear that has to travel.

Maybe not exactly what y'all are thinking about, but here is how I handled two Trophy 230ah batteries. Vertical installation was approved, and I thought this orientation would be easier to view the screens, in the spot that I had available for the batteries. Made a simple frame which secures the two batteries from the 'ends', and then a couple brackets welded on to secure them to the wall.

Attachments

• DSCN4384[1].JPG
    DSCN4384[1].JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN4388[1].JPG
    DSCN4388[1].JPG
    475.7 KB · Views: 29
I made my own wooden rack. Used serverracks go for 400euros over here. Wood was cheaper and just as stirdy.

I'm gonna make an adjustment to this soon. I found out that the top battery is getting hotter before the rest of the batteries. Hot air rises (duh).

I'm gonna make 3 towers of 4 batteries next time, also taking in account for future battery expansion.

Please note:
Without cables, busbars and fuses it still looks pretty.

Attachments

• IMG-20231101-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20231101-WA0006.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 45
I made my own wooden rack. Used serverracks go for 400euros over here. Wood was cheaper and just as stirdy.

I'm gonna make an adjustment to this soon. I found out that the top battery is getting hotter before the rest of the batteries. Hot air rises (duh).

I'm gonna make 3 towers of 4 batteries next time, also taking in account for future battery expansion.

Please note:
400 ?
beetje overdreven :

beetje rondkijken en soms kun je dat gratis ophalen bij telecity ( of een ander dc wat aan het vernieuwen is)

overigens ziet je opstelling er wel mooi en netjes uit zo !

If you DIY something especially out of wood make sure you have food ventilation. The wood will insulate alot better then steel racks do.

Please note:
Thanks for sharing! I think I'm going to use this design. I have to put my batteries over a wheel well in my tiny house and a standard steel rack won't work for that. W ith a wooden one I can build around the obstacle the wheel well poses. Speaking of busbars and fuses, Will mentions that if you have more than 2 48v batteries, you should start using t class fuses and a busbar. If you have a close up of how you incorporated your busbars and fuses I'd like to see it. I haven't been able to find much information on that.

Thanks for sharing! I think I'm going to use this design. I have to put my batteries over a wheel well in my tiny house and a standard steel rack won't work for that. W ith a wooden one I can build around the obstacle the wheel well poses. Speaking of busbars and fuses, Will mentions that if you have more than 2 48v batteries, you should start using t class fuses and a busbar. If you have a close up of how you incorporated your busbars and fuses I'd like to see it. I haven't been able to find much information on that.
I can surely do that!

I mounted two copper busbars (calculated my max amps and applied those dimensions) and attached all the positive battery terminals to the positive busbar and all the negatives ofcourse on the negatives using 35mm2 copper welding cable. Both busbars are mounted with terminal posts on the vertical piece of wood respectively on the left and right side.

From the busbars I leave with a 95mm2 welding cable (positive and negative) towards my inverter.

This is where the class fuse comes in to play. Or any other dc breaker with high capacity.

I will send a picture later tomorrow.

Back