diy solar

diy solar

Anyone Built A Roof Mounted System In Oregon -- Need Help With Plans & Code

Chadunca

Im looking to put a 10kw system on the roof of my shop in Linn County. Im a mechanical engineer and have a good understanding of building the rack system and how the ability to wire the system. Im trying to understand the code i need to adhere to. Has anyone have their approved planes i can use as a template. In the code i also dont see anything and a rapid shutdown system??

1718115358020.png

You would be wise to sit down with your Linn County building/planning department since they govern whether or not rapid shutdown exceptions apply and/or which other code applies. If you can't get your shop qualified under prescriptive solar, you might have to get some engineering analysis done on your shop.

You would be wise to sit down with your Linn County building/planning department since they govern whether or not rapid shutdown exceptions apply and/or which other code applies. If you can't get your shop qualified under prescriptive solar, you might have to get some engineering analysis done on your shop.

Phil -Thank you what is prescriptive solar ?? Thanks !

Phil -Thank you what is prescriptive solar ?? Thanks !
Had to look it up myself - standard vs. "this might take a while..." installation, is my interpretation. Do whatever you can to get it permitted under prescriptive!

Prescriptive installations as defined by the Oregon Structural Specialty Code (OSSC), Section 3111 are roof installations on conventional light-frame construction (such as a wood-framed house) which comply with specific criteria and do not require an engineered design. The permit fees are flat rate and permits are typically issued 2–3 business days after submittal.

Rooftop solar is super standardized. Just get someone to draft plans for your equipment selection. $400. Those will pass prescriptive (we call it something else here, personally I call it “do it the same way everybody does it, on a standard overbuilt roof framing, without weird 💩 like trying to change the panel angle or lift them up higher for dubious bifacial gain”)

one of the advantages of Iron ridge racking is that it comes with its own prescriptive code compliant documents so its
plug and play with no engineering needed-just a satisfied user.

That’s not just an IronRack thing.

To compete all of them provide those engineering documents, certifications, and drafting for hire services.

IronRidge has some nice mechanical and packaging properties. The hardware is over engineered with the extra flexibility translated into the prescribed flows, they have factory cuts that are short enough to go regular UPS (which helps for people in areas with no local solar supply houses).

For instance there is longer span allowed, and you can reuse / reposition hardware more liberally. Unirac SM lite has shorter span and more one time use hardware.

The relative pricing of both systems is somewhat commensurate with the value. IronRidge costs more for the privilege of the better capability. Whether it’s worth it 🤷

diy solar

diy solar
Back