diy solar

diy solar

Anyone on here from the Vermont or Maine flooded areas?

It is rough. I’ve been mostly fortunate.

I’m in Lowell Vermont. Lots of washed out roads. I was stuck here about 15 hours due to a washed out culvert.

But in the river valleys there’s square miles of fields 10’ under water still. Haven’t seen today yet. That’s the third (fourth?) “once-in-a-hundred-years” flood since 1995

I’m not a native Vermonter but I was here for Hurricane Irene in 2011, which is what this week’s storm is being compared to.

The state government and residents learned a lot from Irene. I live in a rural area so most of us are self-sufficient enough and have had years to prepare for Mother Nature’s wrath. It takes a lot to disrupt us. We often have power outages lasting a week or two— thus my interest in this very forum!

Nobody I know is badly affected although a co-worker had a shed collapse on a collectible car of his, rendering both as probable total losses.

On Monday afternoon I drove up and down I-89 from Burlington to White River Junction; it was shocking to look over the rails on bridges and see rivers so high that only treetops were visible in some areas.

Having been through some serious floods I feel for y'all. Did I see that you're going to get more of the same this week? Ugh. I hope things get better quickly. Has to be horrible on solar production along with all the other stress.

The stream that runs downing side of our off-grid property in Maine is busting at the seams. The garden is done for the season from too much water....

The stream that runs downing side of our off-grid property in Maine is busting at the seams. The garden is done for the season from too much water....
I actually built a covered garden with translucent panels two years ago for this very reason. Since then it's been nothing but drought. Thinking about tearing the dang roof off so it will rain again. LOL.

Sorry to hear about the garden. So much time and effort invested. It sucks. I'd gladly take a bunch of that rain off your hands if I could.

We've been very fortunate in our part of Maine (midcoast, west of "downeast"). Lots of rain but nothing like our friends to the west have had. I volunteer with our tiny town to help manage the water levels of our lake (~1200 acres and the headwaters of a river system) and the pond I live on (300+ acres). It's usually a challenge to keep levels as high as people want in the summer, as boaters and summer people like easy access to seasonal docks, but you have to leave some "safety margin" for big storms, which they never understand. We've had no problem keeping them happy this year, that's for sure! In fact, we're 6" higher than I'd like on the big lake, but I'm told we need to hold back water to complete a downstream culvert repair. I watch the weather like a hawk these days, less for outdoor fun and activities, and more because these storms are dumping crazy amounts of water all at once, and it's happening far too often. I fear we're going to see a lot more problems across the globe in coming years.

May rain in Western Maine (plus late snow run off) was way worse then recent rains, but nothing that VT is facing.

Seems very localized rains, Jay ME had 4-6” rain over a couple hours last week tons of wash outs, next town over no damage.

Fear?

There’s always been displeasurable rain events over different regions, and droughts in others. It’s gonna happen.
In general, I like the approach of, "You do you, man." The only problem with that, is that what each of us does often ends up affecting others. I've come to the conclusion that climate is a good example of that. One of the reasons I'm personally starting to "go solar" is that I think we need less climate damage from fossil fuels. It will affect me to some degree, but I likely won't live long enough for that to be drastic. So, when I say, "Fear", it's not for myself. But I do fear for those coming after me, and I wish more people shared that feeling. I'm not some "left wing tree hugger". I have a diesel tractor and drive a V8 Tundra (albeit not very far, these days). But I'm starting to think we need to make some changes, or those coming after us are going to have bigger problems than we have today. I don't want to get into a big political discussion, because I don't see this as a political issue. But yeah, I think we need to make some changes. That's all. I need the Tundra to pull stuff, and the tractor to work on stuff. But for the next house (design almost done) we're shooting for net zero. One does what one can do.

diy solar

diy solar
Back