diy solar

diy solar

Anyone tried Meanwell 48V charger as the AIMS one sucked

me3

Has anyone tried the MEAN WELL NPB-1700-48
I have some industrial experience with Meanwell and their stuff is bulletproof.

I had an AIMS 25A 48V charger, and it was terrible. Super noisy cooling, very hot and always pulling back to <50% charge rate due to heat.

It's difficult to find a programmable smart 48V charger. My next option is using a Victron MPPT 250/70, and putting a rectifier and some caps in front of it to get 170V DC.

My experience of meanwell smps is it’s great stuff. So the smart charger should be good

Never used any of their chargers, but always turn to Meanwell for any din rail power supply. They defiantly seem like good quality.

I was exhausted searching for a good charger for the last couple years seeing all the junk offerings everywhere on the market BUT was excited to see this newly designed charger line up from Meanwell, i now expect delivery of the NPB-750-12 and the NPP-1200-24 very soon. I will report any problems with these but highly doubt any issues with either of them given the usual high quality of Meanwell's product history. This new charger line up has been very well designed with the options of the NPP/NPB these have answered the badly needed requirment of good quality chargers.

I bought one. Summary is for 48v it works well. Not silent but much quieter than AIMS junk. Seems to get about 1.2kw on 110v with good voltage profile. Again, much better than AIMS. I was hoping to hold 1.7kw, but it wont do that on US voltage. Gotta be careful with the IEC cord, as cheap one’s dont like 10a constant.

I have been using the NPB-750-12 for about 4 months now.
Selected it due to the high efficiency.
The AIMS lists theirs in the 80 something percent efficient.
This is listed at 92%.
So in the long run, a quieter, cooler supply with less wasted conversion power.

My system is an overkill inverter system with 200 ahr.
This charger pushes about 670 watts the way it is setup for me.
I believe my wires are a little undersized from the charger to the batteries. (A few feet of double 10 awg).

One other reason I selected this was the current knob.
I have a little , super cheap, 700 watt, gasoline, inverter generator.
So I can back the current down a little and be able to put some power back into this small system, if the need arises.

I've been using the Meanwell NPP-750-48 on my 48V lead acid bank since December. I use it every day for a few hours and it just works. I use my Predator inverter generator to run the Meanwell and then run my loads off my battery bank/inverter. It's been a good combination for me.

I just purchased the Mean Well NPB-1700-24 battery charger for my home backup system replacing a junk AIMS unit and I couldn't be happier. The Mean Well unit is solidly built, has a number of voltage charge curves that are selectable by DIP switches and if you need to customize it further, you can purchase a PC interface module that allows you to program custom charge settings with via software. Plus it is very quite. The fan speed is based on actual unit temperature, not full on all the time.

Back