diy solar

diy solar

Anyone using a Toyota hybrid as a tow vehicle?

JMc

We traded our old 2008 car for a 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. The Toyota engine has no conventional starter or alternator, but it does have a small 12V lead acid battery to run the low-voltage systems. This battery is charged from the HV “drive” battery with a DC-DC converter.

I‘m adding a tow hitch and plan to use a 7-pin connector that can supply 12V to the trailer. Good news is the car’s 12V battery is in the back just a couple of feet from the hitch, but tapping off that battery for any kind of high current uses (like charging a trailer battery) is questionable because the DC-DC converter is not intended to supply large loads. Have any of you used the 12V side of a Toyota hybrid system for towing?

The question is how much current can the dc-dc converter supply and how much is available for your use?
Can you get part number for the dc-dc converter so that we can look up the specs.
To see how much is available, determine how much you use.
An ac/dc clamp meter should provide some insight.

Last edited:
I found this.
If it can run a 1500 watt inverter then a tow cable should be a walk in the park.
Thanks — that link was helpful. It lead me to search my 700-page OM and I found the answer. The 2019 model Highlander only has a 100W pure sine inverter and on the DC side it’s limited to ~ 10A for external 12V accessories. So, no battery charging on the trailer hitch connector.

@JMc Still might be worth getting part # for the converter.
Just because the inverter only draws 10 amps doesn't mean the converter is limited to 10 amps.

Thanks — that link was helpful. It lead me to search my 700-page OM and I found the answer. The 2019 model Highlander only has a 100W pure sine inverter and on the DC side it’s limited to ~ 10A for external 12V accessories. So, no battery charging on the trailer hitch connector.
That's for the Highlander gas version. If you have a Highlander Hybrid, it has a 1500W modified sine wave inverter.

Back