diy solar

diy solar

anyway to check panel integrity? my shipping box was damaged

ggoodwin

Hi. I am just starting my first setup for my shed, and just bought a set of 12V 100w panels (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTKT56Y?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1)
When I received the shipment from amazon, the box it came in was in rough shape.

Is there an easy way to test the panels to make sure they still work properly?
(note: the top side of the panels were facing inward in the box so they may have escaped any possible damage that showed up on outside of box)

This is for use with PIP-1012LV-MS – 12V 120VAC 1000W AC output, 500W Max 40A Mppt Solar Input (https://watts247.com/product/pip-1012lv-ms/)
and LiTime 12V 230Ah Plus Low-Temp Protection LiFePO4 Battery, Built-In 200A BMS

I have the panel set and the 1012 in hand, the battery is on back order

Place the panel in the sun and check voltage between the + and -. According to the panel specifications on Amazon, Voc should be around 24V.

If you really feel its necessary to check and make sure they output current, you can test with a suitable multimeter that can handle up to 10A. Those 24V panels are rated at only 5.2A Isc. so you don't need any load resistors. Alternatively a Hall effect, DC clamp meter meter can be used to test current.

I would recommend throwing a towel over the panel before creating the short circuit just to minimize any sparking. Then uncover the panel and take an amperage reading. Cover the panel again to block sunlight then separate the + & - connectors.

If the panels are not visibly damaged they probably don't need to be tested.

Place the panel in the sun and check voltage between the + and -. According to the panel specifications on Amazon, Voc should be around 24V.

If you really feel its necessary to check and make sure they output current, you can test with a suitable multimeter that can handle up to 10A. Those 24V panels are rated at only 5.2A Isc. so you don't need any load resistors. Alternatively a Hall effect, DC clamp meter meter can be used to test current.

I would recommend throwing a towel over the panel before creating the short circuit just to minimize any sparking. Then uncover the panel and take an amperage reading. Cover the panel again to block sunlight then separate the + & - connectors.

If the panels are not visibly damaged they probably don't need to be tested.
ok. thanks @BentlyJ

Those panels are tougher than you think.

Mine were delivered with boot prints on the cardboard on top of the glass. They were undamaged and worked fine.

There was a bit of stress there until they were tested.

Mine were delivered with boot prints on the cardboard on top of the glass. They were undamaged and worked fine.

that is good news. thanks @chrisski

Back