diy solar

diy solar

Aolithium 48v batteries. Should or shouldn’t I?

Thanks for the update. Have you been able to test the capacity of them? Do they provide 5kWh/100aH? The SOK I have is 104aH and another server rack battery I've had(different brand) only gave me 96aH and cost a fortune($3000 CAD, sent it back)
So just curious how these ones stack up.
How would I do this test

You could use an external shunt if you have one. Typically you'd do one battery at a time. Charge it fully, then discharge it completely and see how much energy is discharged(according to the shunt) when the battery shuts off.
I'm not sure about the BMS on the aolithium but BMSs often have a SOH(state of health) number as well.
It's a calculated number but the BMS will calculate the amount of capacity between full and empty states and display it as SOH.
With my other battery I had tried, I had SOH at 100aH originally but it would shut off early(couldn't discharge the rated capacity) and then dropped to 96aH.
SOK reports 104.6aH and holding steady.

I’m running the sp6548 all in one and they seem to work great other then the communication port. I need to select USER battery type . I try PLY battery and have the jumper set to 32 but they never seem to talk. I get error 61. I then switch it back to USER and it works. And the other issue is They only have one rs485 port and one CAN port so I’m trying to figure out how to connect them in parallel to communicate. It makes no sense. The battery need two rs485 ports to communicate in parallel. Hmmm
Looks like the RS485 and CAN bus are run through the same 2 RJ45 ports and the com type is set by DIPS 5 and 6 on the MASTER pack.

I am pretty sure the SP6548 is a Voltronic/MPP type of hardware and needs RS485 communication format.

I also assume the com cable they included is wired for both formats but the seem to only use pin6 for ground. I saw on the Ruixu manual that they have different cable wiring and CAN used pin 6 as GND while RS485 uses pin 3 as GND. Image attached.. Showing what AOLithium says compared to Ruixu.

Attachments

• signal-2023-10-11-11-33-55-705.jpg
    signal-2023-10-11-11-33-55-705.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 26
Is the stacking kit supposed to be included when you buy 2 or more 48v batteries? I received two batteries today but no stacking kit. I was under the impression that was included.
looks like you can buy the stacking kits separately from their online storefront..

It also looks like the single rack batteries do not have cables included and you pick the cables you want and buy separately...

I received my 2 batteries today. I ordered them separately as I wanted the longer wires, and not the jumper wires. I read somewhere(maybe earlier in this thread), if you order 2+, you get jumper wires that are intended just to connect the batteries together, and have to source your own longer wires.
Each battery came with a set of 4 AWG(25mm) wires. The one end has an anderson? connector I think, and the other end has a lug that will fit an m8 bolt through it.

They came at 30% SOC according to their BMSs. 52.6V.
Cells all are 3.290-3.292V
The manual states <=3% self discharge per month.

I received my 2 batteries today. I ordered them separately as I wanted the longer wires, and not the jumper wires. I read somewhere(maybe earlier in this thread), if you order 2+, you get jumper wires that are intended just to connect the batteries together, and have to source your own longer wires.
Each battery came with a set of 4 AWG(25mm) wires. The one end has an anderson? connector I think, and the other end has a lug that will fit an m8 bolt through it.

They came at 30% SOC according to their BMSs. 52.6V.
Cells all are 3.290-3.292V
The manual states <=3% self discharge per month.

I've ordered multiple batteries from them a couple of times and I always received both long and jumper cables. As an example 4 batteries would come with 4 sets of pos and neg long wires, 4 sets of small parallel cables both pos and neg etc... The same as if they were individual.

Not that it matters anymore since they're selling cables separately now.

I've ordered multiple batteries from them a couple of times and I always received both long and jumper cables. As an example 4 batteries would come with 4 sets of pos and neg long wires, 4 sets of small parallel cables both pos and neg etc... The same as if they were individual.

Not that it matters anymore since they're selling cables separately now.
Yeah I see that on the USA site. The Canadian site only sells batteries. That's good if the cables are available separately.

I received the "AK01" set of cables. 1 set for each battery. No jumper cables(AK02).
It works for my usage.

OK, so I have my 2 batteries set up and paralleled with an SOK server rack battery.
After a bit of balancing, they are settled in, although in different SOC than the SOK(expected).

I have to charge everything up to full and balance them all to 100% still(darn overcast weather).

One thing I've noticed so far:
I have a constant load of about 42w from the inverter and internet devices(modem, router, switch).
The external Victron shunt shows ~0.8A constant current discharge, the SOK shows about 0.64A, the 2 AOLithium batteries show 0A draw.

I would need to confirm with a meter that there's actually a draw on each one, but it's possible the shunt can't measure small currents.

It appears there should be a small amount of current being drawn from the 2 new batteries, based on what the SOK shows vs the shunt.

That's just my initial observation but I'm curious if anyone else has theirs set up yet.

Back