diy solar

diy solar

Aolithium 48v batteries. Should or shouldn’t I?

Derka181

I think I might pull the trigger on purchasing 2-3 48v Aolithium batteries ($1900 Canadian each) Im in Canada and I don’t have many options for 48v batteries and the SOK 48v are now about $2900. Im saving $1000 on each battery. Or is this a bad idea? I have really never heard of any bad experiences or good things about Aolithium. Should I be the guinea pig? Hmmm

The Aolithium 12v batteries look decent. I imagine the 48v ones are similar.

Only thing I didn’t like about their 12v model is the inset terminals makes attaching multiple lugs difficult. Not a problem if you’re using bus bars, but then you must use bus bars. I wanted a normal battery that has connection flexibility.

Did you end up purchasing them? The price difference between them and SOK for example is staggering.

Derka181, I'm also in Canada and we have such a terrible selection of affordable server rack batteries. I was also looking at these AOlithium 48v batteries. Are you running off-grid or hybrid setup? Are these batteries Canadian code-compliant? (I know SOK are, but its an extra $1000 per SOK battery these days) What Inverter are you running?

Thanks again!

Is the stacking kit supposed to be included when you buy 2 or more 48v batteries? I received two batteries today but no stacking kit. I was under the impression that was included.

I liked their batteries till I read that they don’t recommend connecting in parallel for more than 4 months. Found that very strange.

Is the stacking kit supposed to be included when you buy 2 or more 48v batteries? I received two batteries today but no stacking kit. I was under the impression that was included.
I didn’t receive my stacking kit too . I have 4 batteries. I messaged them and they seem to avoid the answer

Derka181, I'm also in Canada and we have such a terrible selection of affordable server rack batteries. I was also looking at these AOlithium 48v batteries. Are you running off-grid or hybrid setup? Are these batteries Canadian code-compliant? (I know SOK are, but its an extra $1000 per SOK battery these days) What Inverter are you running?

Thanks again!
I’m running the sp6548 all in one and they seem to work great other then the communication port. I need to select USER battery type . I try PLY battery and have the jumper set to 32 but they never seem to talk. I get error 61. I then switch it back to USER and it works. And the other issue is They only have one rs485 port and one CAN port so I’m trying to figure out how to connect them in parallel to communicate. It makes no sense. The battery need two rs485 ports to communicate in parallel. Hmmm

I’m running the sp6548 all in one and they seem to work great other then the communication port. I need to select USER battery type . I try PLY battery and have the jumper set to 32 but they never seem to talk. I get error 61. I then switch it back to USER and it works. And the other issue is They only have one rs485 port and one CAN port so I’m trying to figure out how to connect them in parallel to communicate. It makes no sense. The battery need two rs485 ports to communicate in parallel. Hmmm

The documentation leaves a lot to be desired. It truly sucks. I could be totally wrong but it almost looks as if the RS4845 and CAN ports each pass both RS485 and CAN comms depending on pins used. But yes, it's painful to decipher.

As far as the stacking components are concerned they're out of stock. They'll look into when they'll be in stock AND to see if they could ship them to me if they ever get back into stock.

@dstar: The CAN port does also RS485. So you connect your inverter with the CAN port en then connect the RS485 port with the second battery RS485 port or the CAN port. DIP switches: 1e battery no: 6 ON, second battery no:1 ON. (This works OK with Deye inverter).
Because of the different use of PIN a RJ45 connector can be multiple. So you can use CAN or RS485, depends on the cable you use.

Attachments

• IMG_20230803_221312844.jpg
    IMG_20230803_221312844.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 24
@dstar: The CAN port does also RS485. So you connect your inverter with the CAN port en then connect the RS485 port with the second battery RS485 port or the CAN port. DIP switches: 1e battery no: 6 ON, second battery no:1 ON. (This works OK with Deye inverter).
Because of the different use of PIN a RJ45 connector can be multiple. So you can use CAN or RS485, depends on the cable you use.

That's good to know and thank you for the information. I sent an email to support last night and they got back to me that I can use the RS232 port to talk with an inverter. My question was specific to RS485, but the response didn't detail pinout or protocol.

I have 4- 48v AOlithiums batteries with a SP6548 all in one. On my all-in-one I selected PLY (plyontech) and I still haven’t got them to communicate but Thanks for the info. I have been asking them if the CAN port and RS485 are the same ports and they still haven’t gave me a direct answer.

@Derka181 : Don't know which inverter you have but with the Deye they are recognised as Pylon, So did you set the dip-switches like I did? It's easyer to first connect one battery to test communication. In this case you set dip-switch 5 or 6 depending on your inverter. Also with the Deye it wasn't crystal clear because the Deye sees SOC & SOH but it doens't see the capacity so it doens't know how many batteries you have. I could only verify the amount of current the inverter shows and what the display shows on the battery. So just good luck that I bought them with display. I must say it's realy stupid that the Deye is not showing more information. The BMS knows everything. And yes: they never give you a direct answer, so frustrating! A simple question about how the read your batteries with a PC takes days and still no suitable answer:(

Do the aolithium server rack batteries have a precharged resistor circuit built into the battery to limit inrush current when connecting an inverter?

Thanks for the update. Have you been able to test the capacity of them? Do they provide 5kWh/100aH? The SOK I have is 104aH and another server rack battery I've had(different brand) only gave me 96aH and cost a fortune($3000 CAD, sent it back)
So just curious how these ones stack up.

Back