diy solar

diy solar

SOK Basic or SOK Pro with Sunny Island 6048?

OzSolar

Whatever you did, that's what you planned.
Looking to replace the questionably maintained FLA lead acid batteries salvaged from a DC Solar Trailer.

Sunny Island has a built in shunt for monitoring FLA batteries SOC and adjusting charge parameters as needed. As far as I can tell it does pretty good.

If someone was going to ditch FLA can they use that shunt to reliably monitor SOK Basic LFP or should one step up to the SOK Pro LFP and have the Batteries and the Sunny Islands talk to each other?

$6570 vs. $8320

I do see that the Basic has slightly lower max charge and discharge amps but that is not going to an issue be an issue in this system.

I can't see any need for any of the extra features of the PRO but that's why I am asking! TIA

Can you mix and match? Like one pro to talk to si and the rest be basics? Do they talk to each other?

Is there anyone claiming (any) SOK works closed-loop with Sunny Island?
Last I heard, there was an SOK but almost did, but CC gave up on that.

For the SOK Pro LFP you link, it offers cables for inverters, but SMA Sunny Island isn't among the ones listed.

I've also read of a forum member having success with EG4 PowerPro and Sunny Island. CC says they will try that but don't have it yet.

Is there anyone claiming (any) SOK works closed-loop with Sunny Island?
Last I heard, there was an SOK but almost did, but CC gave up on that.

For the SOK Pro LFP you link, it offers cables for inverters, but SMA Sunny Island isn't among the ones listed.

I've also read of a forum member having success with EG4 PowerPro and Sunny Island. CC says they will try that but don't have it yet.
That's why I asked.

I could have sworn that I saw the SI was listed on there but sure enough I don't see it now. A quick peak at thier manual doesn't seem to mention SI either.

What about using LFP batteries on Sunny Islands that aren't using closed loop communication?

Can you mix and match? Like one pro to talk to si and the rest be basics? Do they talk to each other?
I wondered that as well and determined that even though you could there'd be no reason. Since all the batteries aren't talking to each other I assume there's no benefit to closed loop communication.

That's why I asked.

I could have sworn that I saw the SI was listed on there but sure enough I don't see it now. A quick peak at thier manual doesn't seem to mention SI either.

What about using LFP batteries on Sunny Islands that aren't using closed loop communication?

I wondered that as well and determined that even though you could there'd be no reason. Since all the batteries aren't talking to each other I assume there's no benefit to closed loop communication.
Many sunny island owners are using lithium without close loop. It's not ideal but it can work

Without comms, VRLA settings are used to get desired lithium cell voltages. Instead of 48V, I think 46V nominal (23 cell lead-acid) allows VRLA cell voltage settings without allowed limits that achieve desired 16s LiFePO4 cell voltages.

We've heard that someone is running EG4 PowerPro closed-loop with SI. Don't know how thoroughly it has been rung out.

There are of course supported lithium batteries, and DIY with REC works.

Last edited:
Looks like you could leave it at the standard 24 cell setup.

1703118580219.png

1703118940369.png

Attachments

• 1703118651816.png
    1703118651816.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1703118702058.png
    1703118702058.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 1
Back