diy solar

diy solar

Sunny Island 6048 x 2 will for be sale soon Southeast Kansas

OzSolar

Whatever you did, that's what you planned.
$1,500 each OBO Local pickup preferred of course but would be willing ship. If that's an out of line price please feel free to thoughtfully advise.

There is also 2 functioning Trace 4024 inverters. There's 3rd one that I think works but haven't tested it. They will all be for sale.

These aren't mine, I'm just trying to help out a family that is not doing so well. This money will be used to go back into thier off grid system.

They are totally off grid folks who really should move to town but since they won't I've got to change thier set up around to something I can monitor and control remotely as needed. I already have a CerboGX and Smart Shunt there which gives me some information when they can keep it on line. These folks struggle with technology.

To that end we need to replace thier failing FLA pack with LFP. We are also preparing to swap out these currently working Sunny Islands that are total overkill for thier application to (most likely) a pair of Victron MultiPlus 3kvA set up for 120/240 split phase.

Yes, these are parts from a DC Solar Trailer.

$1,500 each OBO Local pickup preferred of course but would be willing ship. If that's an out of line price please feel free to thoughtfully advise.

There is also 2 functioning Trace 4024 inverters. There's 3rd one that I think works but haven't tested it. They will all be for sale.

These aren't mine, I'm just trying to help out a family that is not doing so well. This money will be used to go back into thier off grid system.

They are totally off grid folks who really should move to town but since they won't I've got to change thier set up around to something I can monitor and control remotely as needed. I already have a CerboGX and Smart Shunt there which gives me some information when they can keep it on line. These folks struggle with technology.

To that end we need to replace thier failing FLA pack with LFP. We are also preparing to swap out these currently working Sunny Islands that are total overkill for thier application to (most likely) a pair of Victron MultiPlus 3kvA set up for 120/240 split phase.

Yes, these are parts from a DC Solar Trailer.
Be aware that the SMA Data Manager M (lite), can be used to remotely monitor and program Sunny Islands. It may still make sense to downsize the inverter setup, but remote monitoring and control works well on my home dual SI6048-US system using this approach.

Kirk

Be aware that the SMA Data Manager M (lite), can be used to remotely monitor and program Sunny Islands. It may still make sense to downsize the inverter setup, but remote monitoring and control works well on my home dual SI6048-US system using this approach.

Kirk
Thank you, I was not aware of that.

My attempt with Google did not provide results for that exact product.

I did find this SMA COMGW-US-10 Communication Gateway for less that $300. Is that what you are talking about? I scanned it's specs and it does list it's compatible with SI 6048 and if understand correctly it can handle up to 50 devices. I didn't see any mention of additional hardware needed. Is that the case?

Last edited:
Maybe you could somehow get the sma for victron venus mod working and be able to use the cerbogx they already have.

I tried to install it but many of the links were broken. You may have better luck than me

I would hate for you to have to sell those inverters: 25w each idle, unmatched surge, no noise until 95% load- would be a shame

Maybe you could somehow get the sma for victron venus mod working and be able to use the cerbogx they already have.

I tried to install it but many of the links were broken. You may have better luck than me

I would hate for you to have to sell those inverters: 25w each idle, unmatched surge, no noise until 95% load- would be a shame

I hate it as well. I'm thinking that maybe it's best to do this in phases and only move to the next phase if needed?
Step one would be to replace the FLA that have seen better days. That might take care of most of thier problems.

I have wondered what else I could do the CerboGX that's already on site. I know it can do much more than what I've got it doing now.

Last edited:
Thank you, I was not aware of that.

My attempt with Google did not provide results for that exact product.

I did find this SMA COMGW-US-10 Communication Gateway for less that $300. Is that what you are talking about? I scanned it's specs and it does list it's compatible with SI 6048 and if understand correctly it can handle up to 50 devices. I didn't see any mention of additional hardware needed. Is that the case?
I'm not familiar with the communications gateway device. The unit I got was the SMA Data Manager M "Lite" (max 5 devices), version of the following:

You will also need a 485 piggyback board for the master Sunny Island to communicate with it. I paid $300-400 for the Lite version, since 5 devices was plenty for my situation, but in a quick search it looks like that version is getting hard to find. Perhaps the communications gateway can do the same thing?

Kirk

I'm not familiar with the communications gateway device. The unit I got was the SMA Data Manager M "Lite" (max 5 devices), version of the following:

You will also need a 485 piggyback board for the master Sunny Island to communicate with it. I paid $300-400 for the Lite version, since 5 devices was plenty for my situation, but in a quick search it looks like that version is getting hard to find. Perhaps the communications gateway can do the same thing?

Kirk
I'm familiar with the webbox, which allows changing sunny island settings and monitoring the inverter over wifi.

Does the data manager allow changing settings remotely as well

I'm familiar with the webbox, which allows changing sunny island settings and monitoring the inverter over wifi.

Does the data manager allow changing settings remotely as well
Yes, it allows remote parameter changes.

Back