diy solar

diy solar

Aolithium below freezing charging protection

cbfraser

I have a small system that will occassionally go below freezing and I was intending to count on the BMS stop any below freezing charging while unattended during the winter. I was somewhat surprised to get this back from support:
=======
Hi,Mr Fraser

BMS will automaticlly switch off the charging function if under 0

we recommend you to cut off the connection between solar charge controller and the battery , move the battery to a warm place beyond 0 , and charging the battery with a lithium battery charger
====

Sounds like it will switch off below 0 - but doesn't sound like something to rely on if their recommendation is to break off the connection.
I will put in a controlled warming system as discussed in other threads, a complication I thought would be unnecessary.....

That response gives me low confidence in reliable low temp charge protection. I'm hoping the extraneous comment is targeted at getting it heated up and charged for use rather than a necessity.

I'm hoping the extraneous comment is targeted at getting it heated up and charged for use rather than a necessity.
That's how I read it.... as in just instructions as to what to do when temp has gone low if you need get your battery usable again.

Maybe it got "lost-in-translation".... Reminds me of when we bought a new VW Golf Diesel about 20 years ago and the user manual said (and I kid you not).... something like...

Warning: "Diesel can become thick at less than -10 degrees C and you may not be able to start your car. If this happens, please move the car to a warm room, wait for a few hours and retry starting the vehicle"

I had images of knocking down my house wall and pushing the Golf in the lounge, by the fire and TV. I suspect the Germans were just referring to heated garages that we don't have in the UK !!!

we recommend you to cut off the connection between solar charge controller and the battery

My guess is this is a combo of lost in translation and covering their a$s. Meaning it gives them a good reason to reject a warranty claim due to a claim that the low temp protection failed to operate and since you didn’t disconnect it, it’s your fault.

But it might simply them trying to be helpful. Or an engineer was given charge to write stuff like that. I mean the kind of engineers who make good products but have little idea how normal people would use them.

I mean, what if you had to plug in your microwave every time you wanted to use it and then unplug after? Yeah, it’s technically safer, but if they designed the microwave well enough, why bother?

AOlithium are using the JBD bms why would it not work? Unless they set it up in the app the wrong way.

I say download overkill solar app and see the settings for the low temp protection.

Back