diy solar

diy solar

Are 400v solar inverters a bad idea for a boat?

althemusicwizard

Are 300v DC solar inverters a bad idea for a catamaran?
I've just been reading some other posts about electric boats and I've decided to limit my own project to 48v batteries and electric motors. I have twelve 500w panels that I was going to wire in two banks of 3kw per side of the cat, running in series for a max of approx 300v and around 12a. These two strings would serve separate solar inverters (240v) and charge the 48v bank and do the 240v conversion. after reading a few other posts, a comment was made that suggested 300v DC and saltwater were probably not a good mix and that grounding such a system would be a problem. I have already bought the inverters which are these.

Are 300v DC solar inverters a bad idea for a catamaran?
I've just been reading some other posts about electric boats and I've decided to limit my own project to 48v batteries and electric motors. I have twelve 500w panels that I was going to wire in two banks of 3kw per side of the cat, running in series for a max of approx 300v and around 12a. These two strings would serve separate solar inverters (240v) and charge the 48v bank and do the 240v conversion. after reading a few other posts, a comment was made that suggested 300v DC and saltwater were probably not a good mix and that grounding such a system would be a problem. I have already bought the inverters which are these.

As long as the wiring is managed properly, I don't see any issue with it.

Back