diy solar

diy solar

Are different brand micrometers compatible?

SunnyDBoy

Hi everyone!

I still kind of feel new to the solar industry despite doing tons and tons of research over the years and am getting close to pulling the trigger on a system, new or used is still unknown.

I'm wondering while I'm researching different inverters for future growth: if I get 2 different brands of micro inverters, would they be compatible? Or if I want to upgrade to more panels down the road, do I have to be exclusive to one brand? I understand that I might have to have multiple monitors if they are compatible, but not sure if I can even hook them up to different strings (let alone the same string).

This would be for grid tie, but hopefully some day for hybrid or off grid with battery backup.

Also, what about those Sunphase panels with built in Enphase microinverters? I've seen some used and old stock ones go in sale at a local wholesaler periodically for a good price (current batch is $900 for 1400w).

Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone!

I still kind of feel new to the solar industry despite doing tons and tons of research over the years and am getting close to pulling the trigger on a system, new or used is still unknown.

I'm wondering while I'm researching different inverters for future growth: if I get 2 different brands of micro inverters, would they be compatible? Or if I want to upgrade to more panels down the road, do I have to be exclusive to one brand? I understand that I might have to have multiple monitors if they are compatible, but not sure if I can even hook them up to different strings (let alone the same string).

This would be for grid tie, but hopefully some day for hybrid or off grid with battery backup.

Also, what about those Sunphase panels with built in Enphase microinverters? I've seen some used and old stock ones go in sale at a local wholesaler periodically for a good price (current batch is $900 for 1400w).

Thanks for your help!
Not an expert on this but have researched like you.

You can definitely use different types of microinverters and mismatch panels as long you follow their hook up design. For example, Enphase use their proprietary connectors for the branches in their generation of products and each branches have amperage breaker limits. So if you insert a different product into the link, you can do it at the AC breaker/combiner box. You can keep expanding up to the feeder breaker limits. All the microinverters needs to sync up to the grid to work.

You do not need to use the same brand of solar panels for the micros. You just need to make sure it is within the DC input voltage to the micros. They make them for 62/72/96 cells panels. Just be sure they matches.

Later down the expansion, you can look at AC coupling for inverters like SMA, Outback Skybox and Sol-ark or Schneider Hybrid.

Awesome thanks! And do you think I could do a mixture of micro inverters and steering inverters (guessing the string inverters need to be able to parallel)?

Back