diy solar

diy solar

Tesla S batteries... Do you need a BMS?

BWilliamson

So, I've got a local guy here in FL selling solar systems/parts...

I'm still fairly new to this, and I wasn't thinking about these Tesla batteries, but considering the price and the kwh you get.. seems like a great deal.

So I've been researching these batteries, and I understand the need to manage the voltage!

That being said, I asked this guy if he has a BMS that's compatible, and he tells me you don't need one... hmmm

I'm hoping to use a hybrid inverter, so curious if anyone else has used a Tesla S battery without a bms, or should I say replacing the bms to work with an off grid system?

Thanks for any input or advice you might have!

Don't. Unless they're LFP, stay away from them. Especially if you're not 100% sure of what you're doing.
There are better, safer alternatives - and prices right now are dropping everywhere. You can get prismatic LFP cells to make your own battery packs, and they're not expensive: 280Ah+ 3.2V cells can be had for around $100.

So, I've got a local guy here in FL selling solar systems/parts...

I'm still fairly new to this, and I wasn't thinking about these Tesla batteries, but considering the price and the kwh you get.. seems like a great deal.

So I've been researching these batteries, and I understand the need to manage the voltage!

That being said, I asked this guy if he has a BMS that's compatible, and he tells me you don't need one... hmmm

I'm hoping to use a hybrid inverter, so curious if anyone else has used a Tesla S battery without a bms, or should I say replacing the bms to work with an off grid system?

Thanks for any input or advice you might have!
I assume AliExpress is the place to go?

I am a big Tesla fan and have owned three Teslas. I considered using Model S packs but to get any usable size pack I would need configure several pairs in series and the price then was not competive with a DIY LFP pack using one good BMS and pairing LF280 cells to get any size pack. I know the fire risk but know my Teslas have a great battery management and cooling system so the risk of the cars in my garage or driveways is minimal. Removing the modules from the temperature and battery monitoring and the cooling system was not worth the risk and was not more cost effective than my DIY pack. In addition the voltage of two modules is still on the low side for most 48 volt charge controllers or AIO inverters.

So I'm still wrestling with this one... the local guy has Telsa 2 batteries for $650 a piece... it's tempting for the kwhs
Would you guys still say no? lol

Sorry, just trying to justify it in my head lol

Assuming the module is 5kWh and you do not anticipate needing more capacity, why no give it a shot? That price is $130/kWh which is competitive.

So I'm still wrestling with this one... the local guy has Telsa 2 batteries for $650 a piece... it's tempting for the kwhs

Sure as long as where you put it is NOT important to you, just in case it goes up in flames that can’t be put out until the it says so.

the local guy has Telsa 2 batteries for $650 a piece
Dont pay more than $200 per module. At $650 each they are priced at $138/kWh assuming 90% capacity remaining from new (these are used batteries). For $120/kWh you can buy new LFP cells from 18650 store. LFP cells are much safer and can be regularly charged to 100% without degradation unlike Tesla's NCA batteries.

No way i would buy us3d packs from someone saying bms not needed, over 150 a pack...
Sorry.

I would still say no. You can buy new cells LFP cells from sources people mention in this thread, and sleep much better at night. Also, LFP has higher cycle life than NCM, so you have to keep than in mind as well.

I would still say no. You can buy new cells LFP cells from sources people mention in this thread, and sleep much better at night. Also, LFP has higher cycle life than NCM, so you have to keep than in mind as well.

A lot of EV owners are realizing that about battery life. Salesman said “Oh that’s just CYA for worse case scenario, you should see better” yeah right. Or just get new batteries LOL……

Back