diy solar

diy solar

Are Inverters Inefficient?

well, they do, but what i mean exactly is to protect this equipment from downtime. from what I understand, the TS-MPPT-60 will not charge power on just off of voltage from solar array input, so if my batteries get completely depleted, the entire system shuts down and the batteries will need to be replaced when they could just have been recharged. this is for communications equipment so we are working in extremely remote locations with 99% required uptime.
the Tristar MPPT in unusual in that if the battery voltage falls below a certain number it will not restart until the voltage has risen to a higher number clearly this can cause a " lock-out " issue if no other source of re charge is necessary ( must MPPT units only have panel lock outs )

This is always a problem with having a single source of charging , the best way around is as you say a load disconnect before the MPPT brownout voltage is reached , this solution is simple enough you need a Vicron smart battery monitor ( assuming no big inrush loads are present , like big inverters) or a simple low voltage monitor board ( aliexpress, amazon , ebay ) driving a power relay , as this can cope with the big inrush currents

im going to reopen this thread with a better written explanation, thank you all for your time
Please report a thread that needs moving, or title changes, it's easy for us to do it.
Starting a new thread will cause responses to be cross posted and get lost and duplicated...

Please report a thread that needs moving, or title changes, it's easy for us to do it.
Starting a new thread will cause responses to be cross posted and get lost and duplicated...
Here is the new thread. I don't think the OP knows how to change the title. It would be nice to not lose the continuity.

Back