diy solar

diy solar

Are multiple SPDs really required when panel to MPPT wiring is longer than 33ft/10m?

Rob_in

Planning a solar install here:

- Rooftop panels in 3 strings of 3 series to a single MPPT charger.
- Charger, inverter, etc. will be in a cabinet approx 80ft/25m from the panels.
- The 80ft/25m wiring route from panels to charger is into & through the house, 16ft/5m or so underground to the garage then 10ft/3m or so inside the garage to the MPPT charger.

There are 2 options for combiner box, etc:

1. I read in various manufacturer instructions that say there should be an SPD near the panels and another near the MPPT charger if there is more than 33ft/10m between these. So on this recommendation the combiner box should be placed directly inside the house with breakers & SPD, with a single, large gauge cable to the MPPT charger and have a second SPD there.

2. However... we already have a large electrical box around 23ft/7m inside the house on the route the wiring would follow. This would be an ideal location to run each string to and have a combiner box with breakers and a single SPD. This option would be far more convenient for installation and access to the combiner breakers & SPD.

I am thinking that while option 2 goes against SPD recommendations surely with such a relatively short wiring run either side of a single SPD it would still offer the necessary protection.

Any thoughts/recommendations on this?

The purpose of the SPD is to shunt (catch) the surge that could get induced on the wiring before it gets to your equipment. Near the SCC (always recommend) , protects your SCC. Near the solar panels (optional), protects the solar panels.

The purpose of the SPD is to shunt (catch) the surge that could get induced on the wiring before it gets to your equipment. Near the SCC (always recommend) , protects your SCC. Near the solar panels (optional), protects the solar panels.
Thanks - that makes sense.
In that case, I think the most convenient installation option would be to put the combiner stuff (fuses/breakers) in our existing electrical box part way along the wiring route and put one SPD right next to the SCC.

The purpose of the SPD is to shunt (catch) the surge that could get induced on the wiring before it gets to your equipment.
Near the SCC (always recommend) , protects your SCC. Near the solar panels (optional), protects the solar panels.

I have PV Junction Boxes on my roof with a PV Switch and SPD for each string.
The SPDs are connected on the PV side of the PV switch.

Question:
I have another PV switch before the SCC, and I wonder if I should put:
- (1) the SPD before the PV switch or
- (2) between the output of the PV switch and the SCC?

Is the (2) implementation correct? (I did this way because this way was more practical)

Solar Panels DC Switch 4 poles .jpg

diy solar

diy solar
Back