diy solar

diy solar

Arkansas solar farmer

DavidAmon

I currently manage and maintain a 180 MW utility scale solar farm. I am now branching out and looking to install residential solar on my own home. Looking to build a small 5 kW system at first, but looking to make sure it can easily be expanded on in the future. The electrical part is pretty easy, only had some issues looking for what kind of inverter system would meet my needs and not cost a fortune up front. Looks like I will be going the Micro-inverter route. I managed to snag some panels from another site that had broken MC4 connectors that I can easily fix, Risen 330 Watt panels, not the best available, but it was hard to beat the price of free. Looking into using a Tamarack roof mounting system, but not thrilled with 6' spacing between rail supports, so I will move it to 4' spacing and add some additional mounts. Probably use the Aptos MAC800 inverters with these panels. Already did the math and know that my main panel buss bar is rated at 225 amps, has a 200 amp main, and at the 20% over this allows me to install up to 70 Amps of solar without having to install a line side tap. Will most likely step all wire sizes up one or two sizes over the required size to minimize line loss in the system. (I do this when I install drops for major household equipment as a general rule also. It costs a little more, but over a 30 year life will pay for itself in less line loss and also give the ability to upgrade if needed later.)

My main issue is trying to get through all the permitting, inspections, and power company interconnection. I live in a un-incorporated part of the state, meaning I don't have city inspectors. The power company though won't connect until it has been inspected. Looks like I will most likely have to use a state inspector. Then I also have to work through the fact that while I know electricity about as well as electrical engineers, I do not carry an certifications to be a qualified installer as recognized by the state. Trie to go contractor route, but they really rake you over the coals. My system is going to cost about 5k, but if I went with a contractor that price triples.

Check your state for any homeowner builder/contractor provisions. In AZ the state provides exclusions for homeowners to do their own work; however, work must comply to city/county/state codes and for work that requires a permit, the permit must be obtained, and as you have discovered, there may be external factors requiring additional red tape.

In my city, a solar permit is not required; however, it must comply with NEC 2017. To interface with my utility, a whole new list of requirements crops up.

I suspect the worst case would be to locate a licensed electrician willing to inspect/sign-off your installation.

diy solar

diy solar
Back