diy solar

diy solar

Array setup fuse advise

mmm33732

I'm curious about whether or not inline fuses are needed in my setup and if so, I'm not sure if I should go 10A or 15A each. (according to the panels the max fuse rating is 15A. I wonder if that's too high since the panels usually only pump out roughly 1/2 their rating on a sunny day, so it should be roughly half the rated max amperage in that case, making 15A seem too high. But conversely, is 10A too low?) See attached picture of my current setup. The blue areas number 1-5 are where I'm considering adding fuses. Now my current understanding is that in a parallel arraignment, any time the max amps is over the rated short circuit amperage, a fuse should be added. I'm not quite sure if its worth adding in the setup though since there are only 2 string in the larger arrays... but then again, they do all tie together at the charger/inverter. The breakers are all currently there, the only thing not is the fuses which are represented with number 1-5 where I may add them if needed. What do you think?
f.png

Last edited:
Yes, fuses are required at those 5 locations.
Their purpose is to protect the panels in each string. If a short occurs in a string, the rest of the strings will send all of their current to it. If not protected by the fuse. The shorted panel string will overheat and catch fire.
15a , according to the panel labels.

Back