diy solar

diy solar

Assessing energy usage for 6000xp

iampob

Hi all,

I added the Emporia Vue 3 to 16 circuits on our main panel, about 3 weeks ago, I'm trying to understand if we can use 1 x 6000xp for all the house circuits, apart from the hot tub and dryer, which would be running straight from the grid, that's the very loose plan at the moment anyway...

I've just downloaded a 3 week report from Emporia, and it shows peak usage for every 15 minutes.
Just wanted to make sure I'm understanding the report correctly, and what the options might be.

The Mains Phase L1 - Watts + Mains Phase L2 - Watts columns are the CTs on the 2 grid 120v coming into the panel,
the Minus Dryer or Hot Tub - Amps column is the 2 x 120v totals, minus 2 hot tub legs and minus the 2 dryer legs, then converted to amps.

Hope that's making sense,
If I'm understanding this correctly, one 6000xp should never get near the 25 amp (3000w) per MPPT limit if we run the dryer and hot tub straight from the grid, and everything else from the inverter?

then I guess there's a second question, is there a way to get the majority of circuits into a new panel so they can run from the inverter, and then downsize the existing 40 breaker panel that will keep the dryer and hot tub circuits on the grid?
or is there a way to move just the dryer and hot tub to a new panel, and relocate the grid to that, without needing to get the power company and temporary disconnect requested?

or, what other approaches could be done?
thanks for reading through that jumble of words!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 7.25.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 7.25.27 PM.png
    457.4 KB · Views: 3
I ran the emporia vue for several months on as many circuits as possible (16) to figure out what to move to a sub panel. Was extremely careful in doing this as I could not turn off the hots coming into the main panel without a meter pull. In the end, opening the main breaker and covering the main lugs I was able to move my circuits over. They are all now strapped to code and not dangling as they are in the picture. I left the wires long just in case in the sub panel but getting to clean it all up in a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_2300.jpeg
    IMG_2300.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1111.jpeg
    IMG_1111.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5597.jpeg
    IMG_5597.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 12
Thanks Chris!
Do you have grid power running to both the main and sub panels?
or just one of the 2?

Think there's a lot I'm yet to understand re the simplest way to get just my 2 heavy circuits on grid, and the rest just on solar,
then some kind of ATS so I could divert all the solar circuits straight t the grid, and if needed, bypass the inverter altogether.

Thanks Chris!
Do you have grid power running to both the main and sub panels?
or just one of the 2?

Think there's a lot I'm yet to understand re the simplest way to get just my 2 heavy circuits on grid, and the rest just on solar,
then some kind of ATS so I could divert all the solar circuits straight t the grid, and if needed, bypass the inverter altogether.
I have both grid and inverter going directly to subpanel via an interlock in sub panel. If inverter dies I power sub via main 100amp breaker. If all working fine main 100amp breaker is open and inverter powers it via 50amp breaker, again all controlled via interlock. Only grid direct OR inverter (grid pass through or battery) can power sub-panel.

diy solar

diy solar
Back